Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8th Armoured Brigade insignia markings

I'm now finalising my decisions about the tank markings on my 1944 16H and once again require a little guidance.

As previously mentioned on this forum, my uncle Harry (aged 19) who was a Gunner/Radio Operator served in the 4/7th Dragoon Guards (79th Armoured Division).

However in March 1944 he was posted to the HQ Squadron, 8th Armoured Brigade and stayed with them until he was killed at Beringen Bridge (Albert Canal) on 9th September 1944.

I would really appreciate some advice as to what a markings/insignia a motorcycle serving with the uncle would have carried.

TIA
Ian

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Re: 8th Armoured Brigade insignia markings

Hi Ian

Not an easy question to answer, there is some information in British Military Markings 1939-1945 by Hodges & Taylor, but it's probably more for larger 4 wheeled vehicles and tanks rather than motorcycles.

But it would appear that 8th Armoured brigade used the following.

993 on a red square 8th Armed Bde HQ
993 on White/Blue 8th Armed Bde Signals
994 on red 4/7th Dragoon Guards
995 on red 24th Lancers
996 on red Notts.(Sherwood Rangers) Yeomanry.

It is usually found with a white horizontal stripe along the bottom of the coloured square because the independent brigade was attached to an army.

And 8th Armed Bde often used a combined Formation sign and coloured arm of service marking.

I will email you a picture.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Re: 8th Armoured Brigade insignia markings

Hi Ian...I've mailed you a picture of the 4/7 RDG unit marking (within 8th. Ind. Armde. Brgde.) on my own bike....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1