Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chrome plating removal

Hi all

Yesterday I bought a complete m20 front brake plate assy at kempton park autojumble

It is chrome plated & still has the remains of the original front brake rod attached, was a good find

Anyone have any experience in chrome plate removal ?

I would like to repaint

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Chrome plating removal

John I think you can muck around with salt water solutions and batteries for a reverse electrolysis removal. But most plating firms will do it either by this means or a caustic bath. However you can use a good etch primer just like they do when the paint panels on chrome tanks and wheel rims. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'd agree with Ron and give it a good key up with some emery paper to get the worst of the shine off and then give it a good going over with etch primer. I did this on the wheel rims of a scrambler I had years back and it worked perfectly.

If you really are not confident about just going for a 'keyed' surface then primer, as Ron suggests any proper platers will do a reverse 'strip' for not a huge amount o fmoney, but it will vary between companies. It is part of the standard things they do.

Sometimes a bit of sandblasting will do, espacially when there is some surface rust.

Hi all

Thank you for the good advice as always

It seems a shame to remove it as its well done, but off it must come

I'll find a local plater close to me near windsor during the week

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John,

Unless you want to die of cancer you might want to reconsider taking the chrome off with reverse electrolysis. The infamous chrome hexadine fumes will be released when dechroming (remember the movie Erin brokovich).

Best left to the professionals or the etch primer or the sand blasting solution.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1