Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
66-9038 screwdriver attachment

Hi Guys, after 20 years of searching I have all but given up hope of ever finding the screwdriver attachment part number 66-9038 to complete my WM20 tool kit, is there anyone lucky enough to have one of these who could let me know the dimensions so I can manufactured one? cheers. Peter

email (option): petersmith542003@yahoo.com

Re: 66-9038 screwdriver attachment

It looks very, similar to the primary chain adjusting tool that was used on Triumph 500's and Bonnevilles, try googling images or Triumph primary chain adjusting tool , the hexagon is 7/16" which is close enough to 3/16 BSW spanner size

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi Peter,

This is a photo from Henk,
If it helps.
Screwdriver Attachment 66-9038 photo 66-9038.jpg

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

And in use- I was curious myself what to do with it!

I have one at home I can measure up. I'll see if I have a spare, but I doubt it.
Mike

email (option): yankee1865@msn.com

Michael Pearson
I have one at home I can measure up. I'll see if I have a spare, but I doubt it.
Mike

I would like to make both the screwdriver and holder - any chance of some measurements?
Scorp.

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

This is the Triumph one
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I would like to make both the screwdriver and holder - any chance of some measurements?
Scorp.[/quote]

Russells have the 66-9068 Detachable wheel spanner in stock, well they did last week. £6.50 p

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Guys, many thanks for all the info which has been very helpful, I have taken measurements from the photo of the complete tool which Vincent V kindly posted, and measuring my tool holder I came up with an equation of + 1.94 which gives me the following sizes for the screwdriver tool

The hex bar has to be 3/16th Whitworth to fit into the tool holder properly

Hex Length 11.5 mm

Shank length 38 mm

Shank diameter 9.5 mm

length of tip 6 mm

overall length 55.5 mm (2.22 inches)

I managed to buy a length of 3/16th Whitworth hex bar at Kempton yesterday, I would ideally have liked mild steel but none was on offer, I will be on my lathe later on today to make the tool. kind regards to all. Peter

Hi Peter,I Dont want to dampen your enthusiasm,but a mild steel screwdriver wont
be much use.In the ideal world you need a medium carbon steel,and need to harden and temper the tip.You may have got lucky if mild steel was not on the menu.
To harden,heat the item to a cherry red and quench in oil,then polish up the tip
with emery cloth,then heat again,back from the tip until you see the metastart to go brown,dont go to blue or you may over cook it.Now watch for the heat and
colour running to the tip,when it gets to a yellowy straw colour quench again.
It should be tempered back enough then,and also a nice shiny oil blacked finish.
hope this helps ,cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Sorry to come back so late with this

Hex length; 16.37mm
Shank: 43.18m
Shank dia: 9mm
Length of tip: 4.8 mm
OAL:58.6 mm

Again, sorry i was a bit late with this.
Mike

email (option): yankee1865@msn.com

Hi Rick many thanks for the info, I have brought stainless steel to make it with will that be hard enough?, or can I harden it the same way as normal steel
kind regards Peter

Hi Mike, thank you for the measurements, just shows how far out you can be with a calculation, I will make one to these dimensions knowing its spot on. kind regards Peter

Nieuwe pagina 1