Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Military Matchless Mainshaft Play

Hello, What should I be doing to nullify Mainshaft play in a Matchless G3L gearbox. One of the main reasons for gear slipping in this motorcycle. Can I use a washer on the inside or outside the Maainshaft? I tried different gasket thicknesses and they dont seem to solve the problem.
The thing is the error can be easily rectified but I do not know where the problem lies.
Will a Washer solve the issue?

J.M

Re: Military Matchless Mainshaft Play

Check washers 36x3 36x2 34x2 are in and in the correct place and also have you got spring 185x fitted if you still have play put a THIN washer behind the mainshaft nut leave a small bit off play If you have not got a spares book get one on line this will show you better than i can tell you get the 1941 handbook also.

Is it the kick start gear that is slipping if it is you must fit spring 185x .If its clutch slip tighten the clutch springs so you have a small amount of play in the clutch lever .I think the correct setting is to tighten the springs fully then slack of four turns .When set up if the clutch sticks on and you cannot get first gear like when the bike has been stood . Put it on the rear stand engage first gear then when you let the clutch of put the back brake on .It will then free the clutch.

John I'm not sure what you mean by main shaft play? Do you mean end float? When the nut on the kick start ratchet pinion is done up tight, there can't be any end float. A gasket that is too thick might make things a bit tight, I just use silicon sealer. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,The Mainshaft has significant movement. The movement is not much.Maybe a few mm. But this is good enough for the gear to slip.
If I remove the gearbox outer case and then push the Mainshaft inside a bit then the gear engagement is perfect. (The rear wheel is tight as in when the motorcycle is in gear)
If I pull it out then there is a click sound and the rear wheel moves freely though it is in second gear.
I hope I explained it well enough [:-?. Will try using washers. Should I use outside the GB cover (Ratchet Side) or inside the GB cover (Removing the inner GB cover)

J.M

I don't understand how you can push the main shaft?

Ron

Sure Ron is correct, the shaft should be locked to the bearing in the inner case via the nut on the kickstart ratchet. If this nut is done up tight there should be no play. If there is still end float on the main shaft either the bearing is shot or somehow moving in the case. The last thing you should do is fit washers.

Tim Walker

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

has any one got a good strip down and rebuild manual, after assembling mine twice i dont seem to be getting the gears properly and no nutral.
all gears ect seem ok going by what diagrams ive got,
ive also been setting the timing mark on the selector, is there only one way the selector can be set?
thanks barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Nothing ever goes wrong with these boxes except for a certain pin coming loose in the selector mechanism as shown in my pic. If it does work loose and wobbles a bit then you will lose gears. I remedy this by using and pressing in an oversize pin with loktite. Wash it and have a close look for a fine crack where the pin pushes in. By the way you don't mean up and down play in the sleeve gear do you?  photo 000_0828.jpg

Thanks Douglas, I did check the part and it looks fine. Ron the movement is side to side. After fixing the Gearboc inner cover, the ratchet and the nut, there is slight movement of the mainshaft. Am I missing something here?

J.M

If you've got a "a few mm" side to side play in the mainshaft then the bearing must be totally shot.

Hi Keith, I assume that totally shot would mean time to replace. Am I right?

J.M

You're not explaining it fully John. Play at what end? Kick-start end? Any play here will probably be as Keith says, a knackered bearing. On the drive end, it could be wear in the shaft or sleeve gear or bearing.....or all! Ron

is it the inner shaft that the kick start ratchet bolts to? when moved side to side you also have movement on the drive sprocket?
check and make sure that the bush is fitted in the inner cover, i think 200x3
you got the correct spacer 184x with the thin spring 185x on it, this goes on before the kick start ratchet ect, when all tightend there shouldant be much play?
barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Hello, Somehow managed to get this right. While running the Matchless,the first gear is smooth, so is the 3rd and 4th, however the second gear keeps slipping (The bike is moving but with frequent slip).Shiftingfrom 3rd to 2nd the shif is like I am doing without using the clutch and it shifts with a jerk.
Is it time to replace something?

J.M

Nieuwe pagina 1