Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rushden 1940s weekend

I went to the above event today on WM20
£2 to get in, a good fried breakfast for £4, beer at £2.50 a pint, steam trains running, plenty of people in period clothing and half decent weather made it a good day out.
Mine was the only WD bike there.
I got talking to an old guy who was a post office delivery boy, so when he started his national service in the Signals they made him a dispatch rider. He was most interested in my DR helmet which he said bought memories back more than seeing the bike.
Also got some tasty crumpet to sit on the bike. They were two girls singing 40s songs and known as The Blitz Sisters
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Rushden 1940s weekend

Yes, thats a great place Peter, being a Northamptonshire lad myself, I appreciate the occasion tit bit from the area, I think this is a great little place, with the railway station,do they still do all the real ales there?
If your a local you would perhaps of known my elder brother, he lived in Rushden.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Hi John
Im not local to Rushden, I live in Banbury so it was a decent ride for me except getting soaked on the way there and it was dark by the time I got home.
Yes the bar in the preserved train station had a variety of real ales but I could only sample two over the day.
My riding friend on the Norton lives in Woolaston which is how I got hear about the event. Its a fine building, with a working steam railway and an active historical society which Rushden should be proud of.

Hi Peter,
Caught your post, nice Steam Railway you visited, we have one where I live. The Keighley and Worth Valley.
I saw that you live in Banbury, have you lived there long? I lived in Banbury in the middle 60's. There use to be a cracking surplus shop somewhere near the Cross. I think it was called, West Bar Garage or something like that. I can remember, stacks of tin helmets all outside, all types British, German and most likely American. Only if!!
Regards,
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Dave
I have lived here since I was 9 years old in 1965, when my dad got a job here. We moved from Birmingham where we lived a few miles from the BSA factory.
I do remember the army surplus store you mentioned, it was up the little lane behind Dan Shorey's shop which is now a posh resturant. People eat in there now, not knowing of its racing history, and In my mind I can still it how it was with his racing bikes lined up, the old petrol pumps and 2 stroke oil dispenser outside. His workshop is now the kitchen.
The surplus store has long gone but the building is still there, now used as a small car repair workshop of the old one man style. I remember as a lad buying from them a tin helmet, welding gloves and goggles to protect ourselves for playing airgun war games over the fields.
Eddie Dows Gold Star shop only got knocked down a few years ago to make room for old peoples homes.
Other than being plagued with speed bumps, thousands of traffic lights and millions of cars which make life a misery on a girder rigid with poor brakes, Banbury is still quiet a nice place to be based motorbike wise as we have a good classic bike community and lots of places to ride out to.

Hi Dave..I lived in Kieghley for a short spell when I was a tacker...My Father was born there and served in the Skipton Home Guard before moving to Coventry working on aircraft engine production..
I was born in Coventry myself as he stayed there after the war running the drawing office at Armstrong Siddeley cars...
I have a really nice photo of him in his HG uniform with fixed bayonet on a WW1 American rifle, ready to repel the Hun invaders..I also have his HG shoulder titles, cap badge and unit badge...
Do you know if there is a group with an interest in the Skipton HG?...Ian

Hi Peter and Ian,
Will post tomorrow, but Ian,I have had a word with my mate and he's told me to give you his email address, will do tomorrow.
Dave

I thought there were 3 Blitz Sisters?

Hi Peter,
You are just a little bit older than me,so you will remember more than me. I only lived in Banbury for about 3 years before moving back up north. Peter, do you remember the Americans? I lived in Grimsby Square and there were a few Yanks around. I made a few mates and they took us to Upper Hayford, cool at the time, with F111's flying in. Just like you I bought a tin helment and put my Mum's hair net on it, good times.
Ian,
My friend Patrick Hargreaves is a member of the Haworth Home Guard,but he lives at Crosshills near Skipton, he and a friend Peter have a few photos etc of the Skipton Home Guard and would love to have a chat etc about your Dad, if that was OK with you? Patricks email address is pathargreaves@aol.com
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave...My grandfather lived at Crosshills for a while, I'm not sure when, or if, my father lived there...He mentioned it frequently though...I'll get in touch with Patrick...Ian

Ian, your welcome. Patrick is a real gent and really enthusiastic about any Military.
Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1