Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AA type sidecar box body

I presume its manufacture is sheet steel over a wooden frame?

And it could have been made by Swallow Sidecars?

Does anyone have access to an original who could give me some dimensions and pictures please?

Rob

photo nortonspares_zpsd02175db.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Re: AA type sidecar box body

Rob. Here are some MP's getting ready to put up road signs for troop movements in 1941. They appear to have the pointed nose as opposed to your rounded Royal Mail box. I can't help with dimensions though. Ron

photo Scan-131018-0001_zpsd0e7decc.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

An Extra Nine Inches (Not Spam !)

An extra nine inches compared with what, though ? ...It's not entirely clear.

The MoS contract details do not make it clear if the bodies supplied with C7576 were 9" longer than the standard box body or 9" longer than an original AA Box. There is no indication as to who supplied Norton with the sidecar bodies, but they were not supplied under embodiment loan or this would have been specified.

photo C7576_zpsa329e4bc.jpg

These contract details provide tantalising hints but never give quite enough to be certain of the details.

Re: An Extra Nine Inches (Not Spam !)

These are the original pre-war 'AA Box' sidecars :-

photo AABox_zpsbeff7914.jpg

Those fitted to the swd Big4 do look longer.

photo NORTONCOMBC_zps331efad2.jpg

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

I agree it does look longer, lucky I hadn't started making one yet.

But I still need to know how much longer than 9 inches it is?

Rob

Rob, ask any woman!!!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

Lex Schmidt
Rob, ask any woman!!!!

Cheers,

Lex

Lex, nice English girls don't talk about that sort of thing. They understand that technique is more important !

Rob...I can't answer your question but I haven't forgotten. I'm confident that the answers to all our questions will reveal themselves to continued research....

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Oops! I bought one of these last year simply for the Norton Chassis and told the man Indid not want the body and he could dispose of it as he wished. I might have his number somewhere but would imaging he hS long since scrapped the body. Cheers John

John TINLEY
Oops! I bought one of these last year simply for the Norton Chassis and told the man Indid not want the body and he could dispose of it as he wished. I might have his number somewhere but would imaging he hS long since scrapped the body. Cheers John

Hi John

Any chance you could contact him just to make sure? did the chassis come with the taller springs and was there a chassis number stamped on it?

Rob

Rik
An extra nine inches compared with what, though ? ...It's not entirely clear.

The MoS contract details do not make it clear if the bodies supplied with C7576 were 9" longer than the standard box body or 9" longer than an original AA Box. There is no indication as to who supplied Norton with the sidecar bodies, but they were not supplied under embodiment loan or this would have been specified.

These contract details provide tantalising hints but never give quite enough to be certain of the details.

I notice it says the rear springs should be strengthened, its hard to believe the box with contents could be heavier than the "combat" body with passenger, bren, ect

Rob

Hi Rob, I am no expert on this one, but length is 64", Height 18" and width is 19 3/4". Can't even guarantee that it is a real one, but for sure, it is a monster, no wood construction here, except for that lower beam. photo IMG_0155_zpsacb3b61c.jpg

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Thanks for that Henri, I have no idea what make or period that could be, it does appear to have soma age though?

Rob

This thing was connected to 1939 BSA WM21. It delivered propane gas bottles for decades. I have the bike as well with its sidecar BSA frame

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1