Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD James ML

There is what is described as a WW2 James ML in the Bonhams catalogue for the next sale at Stafford. Anyone interested? Cheers John

Re: WD James ML

Yes, I wanted to go for that, just all the missing bits to go with the rest I have here! would there be anyone there at Stafford to bid and pay/pickup for me?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

Lex,sorry cannot help. I'm not in Blighty. Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

OK John, am making arangements to go there myself, but it will go to high for me I think.

Thanks,

Lex

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

Well, I had a good look at it, and after discussing it with some knowledgable people, I found out this is a terrible hoax! Bike was sold at an previous auction with a different frame number, so they stamped a big "ML" over the first digit, a 1, and presto a 1948 James becomes 1943 model, and the brown painted glossy green bike, looks quite original that way, nothing to hide the postwar frontwheel though. So this is really a frauduleus case, and I really should go to the police with it, but am not up for all the hassle.

Another man I spoke to, said there was a Manx with a replacement frame too, that's serious money!

Cheers, Lex

That's very naughty! Some people!

Did I spy what's left of a wd petrol cap?

Did cervilian James also have ML stamped in front of the frame number?

Regards.

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

Yes the ML continued in civilian trim after the war till 1948.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes Steve, there was the remains of a WD cap, and on the engine/carb was a canvas throttle grip attached to the carb by the cable.

Am so glad I went to see it in person, and not relied on the description.(although it cost me 200 £ in expenses)

Cheers, Lex

Hi Lex. Yes I thought from the pictures there was the remains of a canvas grip. Why people try and deceive others is beyond me. Was the remnence of the original ML stamp still visible?

Here is the picture Lex sent me from the auction room. Someone will not do the proper research that Lex did......and get seen off!! The ML is too big and the L is probably hiding a 1 or something. Ron

photo 6de69b68-fe1b-49c9-8712-1f466944a11e_zpsf1208cba.jpg

Your right Ron.

That L is way to prominent it looks highly suspicious. As you and Dave mentioned in one of your previous posts the ML frame number is a vary light stamp.

Steve

Just sold for £160 still very cheap.

Yes I would have paid that for it. Still some usable parts. Maybe Lex made a silly offer and won it....We'll soon know. Ron

No, did not bid, but was there! Strange that it only made 160, as it sold for 500 in the prev. auction, maybe the seller bought it himself.

I only want a real one, but they are scarse!

Will investigate this some more when home.

Thanks,

Led

Ps, saw Ian too here, ankle not too good!

My ML when I bought it I thought it was a civilian one as a few of the bits were obviously civilian, but I wasn't moaning as it only cost me £50 about a year ago. I only just got round to checking the frame number out and it IS a military one (fist pump moment!) however I'm a little bit concerned about painting the frame prior to registering it as the stamp is so faint it probably won't show through the paint, should I stamp it in a bit harder? Or should I leave the number unpainted until it is registered then paint it over, if I restamp over it I may be accused of making up the number. The numbers certainly were very lightly stamped!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yes Dave they are very lightly stamped. But that is how they should be so I wouldn't re stamp it. Rather leave it unpainted till after DVLA inspection. You can just make mine out at the bottom of headstock. Ron
 photo ML004_zps726766c4.jpg

Nieuwe pagina 1