Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hylomar

I know a lot of you are to young to remember hylomar gasket compound does it stay soft and can you still buy it thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: hylomar

Hi Roger..Yes, it's still available...A 100grm. tube is about £8...
I bought a number of tubes from the Naval Surplus outlet in Plymouth for £1 a tube a while back but have just one tube left now I think...
You'll find it on e bay...Hylomar is a non setting jointing compound so remains soft...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Didn't I read somewhere that Rolls Royce used to use it?

I bought a tube last week from my local Auto Factors, the first time I bought it many years ago I was told Rolls Royce used it.

I believe that it was used for "field repairs" on one of their engines that suffered from valve spring breakages, I believe that they sorted out the valve spring issue by blasting them to stress relieve them.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I bought a tube a few years ago from Mick Hemmings and use it often with good sealing results, but it does not always make the gasket reusable as it it often tears on dis-assembly,

In the garage where I trained in the 60's 70's we used ordinary red Hermatite. But on my own MGB engines I used Hylomar because of the Rolls Royce connection.
I am also on my last tube of cheap Hylomar from that Bogey place in Plymouth. I just used some on an AJS gearbox I overhauled for a mate. But it's getting a bit stiff to get out the tube now. However for a more permanent joint I use Loctite 5922 black goo. Sticks like shite to a Pussers blanket!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

When I first started in Mech Engineering in the early 70's it was known as "Rolls Royce Blue" after a few years it was simply known as Hylomar. My understanding was that it was first developed for RR, then sold as a general commercial product..

Rgds dave

Nieuwe pagina 1