Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Question

Hi,
I have been checking my clutch and going through everything that it says in the tech section as Ian suggested. There is no play in the clutch sprocket or the clutch centre but I have noticed that when the spring nut is fully tightened without the spring or plates the sprocket is binding and will not turn. What would cause that and what would the fix be? The rollers appear to be ok.

Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: Clutch Question

Hi Mike,do you mean the clutch basket will not turn or the gearbox sprocket?
Without the clutch plates there should be no resistance with or without the nut as it comes hard up on the shoulder on the clutch sleeve,and the basket revolves on that.If the gearbox is in neutral,and the rear chain is off,the gearbox sprocket should revolve freely,if it is in gear then some resistance will be present as you are turning the gear cluster.If it is still tight,i think you have a problem inside the box.Wait for more replies before major surgery.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

The clutch is not fitted to the gearbox. I have followed the steps in the tech section. I have fitted the bearings and clutch sleeve into the clutch basket and slid on the clutch centre and tightened everything with the nut,minus the clutch plates and spring then mounted the clutch sleeve in a vice with the basket facing up. If the nut is done up tight the clutch basket (the part that the primary chain goes on)will not spin freely if at all.
Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Hi Mike,with it now,sounds like the clutch centre is binding on the basket.Try
cutting a paper washer to fit over the splines and try again.this may give a bit of clearance and get things moving.You wont be able to run with a paper shim
but if that frees up the basket then you need to fit a steel shim to create a bit of clearance,worth a try
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Wrong size rollers? I had tried 1/4"x 5/16" rollers and that made the clutch tightened up completely, I tried this as with 1/4" x 1/4" rollers I had quite a lot of up and down play.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes that was the first thing I checked and the rollers are definitely
1/4" x 1/4" . I will try a paper shim to see if that makes a diference. Its hard to fix a problem when I have no idea why its binding. I suppose it will be trial and error. I did try filing the bottom of the spring nut which freed everything up but also gives play in the clutch centre. So will have to get a new nut now. It did seem a bit dodgey but I was grasping at straws. Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik(westnet.com.au)

We need an official expert for this

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Mike,

No real expert here, but I rebuilt a few clutches with Ian's thoroughly description in the technical section as a guide.

I think the binding can only caused by the hardenend roller track which touches the back clutch centre. Which is probably caused by some wear on the splines on the inside of the clutch centre.

Think the easiest way is to remove a (very) little material from the back of the clutch centre so that the hardenend roller track is free again from the clutch centre.

Or you can shorten the rollers a bit if you have access to a grinding machine.

photo SAM_6419_zpsc1857d6d.jpg

Good luck, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1