Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
off topic: Look what I found!!!

Hi folks,

A little bit off topic but IMO worth to mention.

I have owned a couple of waxed motorcycle jackets. Never had a Belstaff or Barbour international.
Last week I bought a NOS Belstaff Classic Trialmaster jacket. One of the last Belstaff Trialmasters that were made in England before the company was sold to Italy. It had been owned by a man who also owned an old Norton Commando. He sold the bike 13 years ago and the jacket was stored in a closet. It's in nearly new condition and the price was very good.

A few days ago I rang up his son and he told me his dad had also a waxed cotton motorcycle trousers with the Barbour international Suit brand. If I wanted the trousers he could provide me with the matching Barbour jacket from his dad. Today I received both the jacket and trousers in the mail. The Belstaff is nice and new but I am in love with the Barbour jacket and trousers. They were military issue and a few became on the civil market. This matching pair was bought in 1962 and has got a "lots of driven miles history". It's totally undamaged and well taken care off. Has got the old newey press studs. A 51 old jacket with lot of character. How many of you still have got the old waxed motorcycle jackets? As I can't drive around in my WW2 gear all the time, I always wear the old waxed clothing when going out for a ride.

Regards, Ramon

photo barbour_zps873ec66f.jpg
 photo barbour5_zps4ec88510.jpg
 photo barbour1_zps55e5b842.jpg
 photo barbour2_zps0b163f89.jpg
 photo barbour4_zps77d43d7d.jpg
 photo barbour3_zpscce2ed3d.jpg

photo belstaff1_zps180c9c89.jpg
 photo Belstaff2_zps9e3d0fe8.jpg
 photo Belstaff3_zps8130554f.jpg

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Re: off topic: Look what I found!!!

How many do you want?

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Hi Ken,

I am 52 now, I'll try to wear them in good health. So I guess these jackets will do for the rest of my life

However, If i can find a Belstaff Trialmaster from the 70's, in good condition, I'll take it and the nos one has got to go. (I am a size 42)

Regards,

ramon

Hi Ramon...Very nice...I wore waxed jacket and trousers for many years...Personally I always considered the Barbour to be the superior product and better than the Belstaff.

Barbour used a better cotton with a closer weave than Belstaff and had thought about it a bit more with details like the angled pocket for easier access..(Though not quite so good for me as I'm left handed!!...)

One day when I was in town buying a new jacket I was able to buy a very similar styled jacket in leather for the same money and decided that the waxed cotton wasn't worth it anymore, so I bought the leather and a reasonably priced 'over jacket' for when it rained....

Lately I have come to the conclusion the current 'fashion status' and resultant ridiculous prices of waxed cotton riding gear must be some kind of joke ....Ha,Ha???...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have got a waxed cotton jacket from the 70s, will need some TLC to bring back to peak condition.
plus
a completes suit,well cared for but cannot remember if its Belstaff or Barbour, sold it years ago on ebay to someone who though it would costs 10 centimes to post,so its still in the box.

another Belstaff bought new in 1988 or so little used.

They are smallish sizes, ie if you are 6ft and 42inch waist they won't fit they used to fit me but I seem to have swollen somewhat.

They wear worst around the cuffs.

if any one interested I will dig out more details and possibly pics and sizes.

I also have a Lewis Leathers jacket in horsehide in the same style as a Belstaff jacket which I bought new in 1978, cost a bomb back then, it also seems to have shrunk badly..................

Hi Ian,

By now, they are overprized indeed. If I read the old Classic Bike magazines from the 70's and early 80's you could buy one new in the store for about 150,- GBP. Still a lot of money but not as overprized as they are nowadays.

But I was lucky enough and bought both the jackets and the trousers for a very reasonable price. (For this money, I even could explain this action to my Mrs )

regards,

ramon

Hi Ken,

I am curious and interested in your 70's Belstaff. My jacket size is between 40 and 42. The Belstaff jacket shown on the photo is a size L. 42-44 and a little bit to blousy on me and the sleeves are 2 inch too long for my (normal length) arms.

Can you tell me what size your Belstaff is??

Thanks and regards,

ramon

I have an old Mascot motorcycle jacket, not nearly as dear as the Barbour/Belsatff versions in price but just as functional. It has accumulated over the years a fair amount of dust, bugs and now mold as it has hung in a dark closet for about 15 years. What's the best way to clean? Just a damp sponge? Somewhere I also have a couple cans of Belstaff Wax for re=proofing it that I bought 20 years ago but never used.
Must get around to that one of these days...

talking about bellstaff jacket they are bl**dy expensive some over £1000 all because the TV people and toffs are buying them

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

My mom and dad bought me a Belstaff jacket for my 18th birthday---40 years ago. I used it for all my biking for 25 years, touring, off road, everything.
I thought I had lost it 15 years ago when I got divorced and moved home, but I found it in a box a few months ago.
It is so worn in, aged, and has so many memories attached to it.

I still use it often, but it is obvious how material technology has improved over the years as it is not very warm or waterproof.

Vincent, yes the only way to clean a waxed jacket is a sponge and cold water. Have a Google at the Barbour web site it says everything you need to know about a 'self' refurb.

I will sort out sizes later and post, can't do it right now as nursing a lovely shiner and a weepy eye full of grit where I lost an argument with the edge of a tractor bonnet.
Telling everyone wife did it with a flower pot, her aim improving.

I never botehred to clean waxed cotton jackets other than a quick wipe over to get the worst mud off, but if you use re-proofing wax, run a hair dryer over it, it melts the wax into the fabric, and spreads it out better, also avoids lumps and works into seams nicely

Nieuwe pagina 1