WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website photo

Nice one Henk!

Re: Website photo

PMF 286 looks like an M20 or M21

Exactly when did they discontinue the civilian type of registration number on Army vehicles?

And would requisitioned vehicles have kept them longer?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

It also has a Ni-Fe battery fitted. Was that just military or did they fitted these also on civilian motorcycles?

The original photo is quite a bit bigger if anybody is interested to have it just let me know.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

What's the one on the right, a Norton Model 19?

Rob Miller
PMF 286 looks like an M20 or M21

Exactly when did they discontinue the civilian type of registration number on Army vehicles?

And would requisitioned vehicles have kept them longer?

Rob

Hello Rob,

I have found documents in the National Archives from which I can conclude that they stopped using civilian numberplates on military vehicles from September 1939 onwards (war declaration between England and Germany).

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Henk WM20 2415
It also has a Ni-Fe battery fitted. Was that just military or did they fitted these also on civilian motorcycles?

The original photo is quite a bit bigger if anybody is interested to have it just let me know.

Henk

Henk will you stop talking about Ni-Fe batteries until you can come up with the goods Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Jan

Hello Rob,

I have found documents in the National Archives from which I can conclude that they stopped using civilian numberplates on military vehicles from September 1939 onwards (war declaration between England and Germany).

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks for that Jan.

I would guess that the Website picture was taken after that? so perhaps they didn't remove them immediately?

And does that include RAF vehicles?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Ron Pier
Henk will you stop talking about Ni-Fe batteries until you can come up with the goods Ron

Just let me know how many you want Ron

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Just the one Henk. For my WD/D. Ron

photo 400_zps876fd864.jpg

Rob Miller

Thanks for that Jan.

I would guess that the Website picture was taken after that? so perhaps they didn't remove them immediately?

And does that include RAF vehicles?

Rob

Hello Rob,

The document also shows that the numberplates weren't removed immediately.

No idea about the RAF though...

Jan

That's a great picture Henk, I'd love a copy of it please

Kevin, I can't really tell what the Norton is from that picture, there maybe more detail on the latger one. I can't even see if it's OHV of sidevalve. The trouble is they all looked like that

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Henk,

I would also like a copy of the photo, please.

Thanks,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

PMF was one of the very last blocks of civilian registrations, before the system was discontinued in September 1939.

The BSA has already got the 1940 style rear numberplate, with Lucas MT1130 light. When did BSA start to use this setup?

I'm quite sure that this picture was taken sometime during the "phoney war", between September 1939 and May 1940. We know that a lot of civilian motorcycles (from dealers' showrooms) were impressed during that period. Another (well known) picture from this period shows a similar civilian Norton being loaded in a truck by some military people. The text on the window of the shop shows that the picture was taken at Claude Rye's premises.

Jan

The MT1130 lamp was fitted for the 1940 model year only. Of course it would have started in 1939. Ron

The guy on the left seems to have taken the cilinder off, turned it upside down (!) with the carburettor still on it...

And the Norton on the bench has the turned up exhaust pipe. Which model is that? Ron

It also has a "T" shaped battery and a panel tank so I would say it was a 1935/36 Model 18

photo 1936NortonModel181_zps7741cd3c.jpg

A centre stand and a rear stand.....how unusual!

Ron

That's not actually a centre-stand, it's an alternate sided prop stand - it should be just short enough to let it lean a little each way.

Is it definitely a Norton on the ramp ? The timing cover has a Triumphy look to me.

Going back to the original point, there are plenty of pictures from late 1939 in France showing BEF motorcycles (and other vehicles) still with numberplate but as with Service Dress, they don't seem to have lasted long into 1940 and I can think of no examples from May 1940 where it is still visible.

Rik I can't say I've seen a Triumph with that type exhaust system. The gear change lever looks long and gawky enough to be Norton. Ron

This is the Norton picture that I was talking about...

photo T2eC16JyME9s5qF2B9BRqRqh060_581.jpg

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Rik, the Norton isn't the one on the ramp but the one to the right of the BSA.

Oh, sorry Rik, I was reading this thread on my phone and missed what Ron said. Now I'm on my PC I can see what you are referring too. I thought it was odd you not recognising a Norton

The bike on the bench is definitely not a Norton, it has a lump on the timing side like a Triumph.

Sorry Horror. Henk just sent me that picture. I can see a OHV engine, dolls head box and Norton front guard. I'm also sure that that wading silencer is Norton also.
I'll send you the picture also in case you haven't already got it. Ron

Yes I can see what you mean about the gearbox, it doesn't look like the Triumph ones I know. But I can't match the engine up with a Norton at that angle, it does look like it has a lump in the timing side case. The exhaust is a new one on me. I have found Norton's with fishtail silencers but not quite like that. I'm no expert, just going through my pictures etc

I did find this though, that does look a bit like a dollshead box from that angle..? This is a 1936 Triumph Tiger 80, what do you think? The 1st picture is a trials version, and the 2nd the road version. Doesn't explain the exhaust though.

photo TriumphT801936_zps2748f3cc.png

photo 1936-triumph-tiger-80-2-858x570_zps25af0ecf.jpg

Could be. That's an unusual box to me and would explain the gear shift. The annoying thing is, I have seen that wading exhaust somewhere before but can't find it now. Why can't we just read the name on the tank? GRRRR!
So at the moment, it's an early Tiger 80 with REME exhuast spout? Ron

Ah! Henk just reminded me where I'd seen that wading exhaust. Of course the water was sometimes too deep. Ron
PS I think those on Thistlegorm are Nortons?

photo 007_zps76ce6dcc.jpg

photo thistlegorm_zpsf79f6cdf.jpg

Yes, they are Norton's under the barnacles I think they were an Indian contract with that exhaust. Is the BSA you pictured an Indian contract as well or was this exhaust a trend at the time?

I think you've found the exhaust on the mystery bike, maybe it was going somewhere exotic

I've just noticed something else about the bike in the picture. Look at the fork linkages, in the picture they point down, on a Norton they point up slightly or horizontal. The picture of the Triumph I posted the linkages point down too.

Maybe it's a Triton... or a Norumph

I think the fork links are like that because the wheel is hanging in mid air. The links should all face down dependent on the weight on the bike or fork spring losing its length.

Ron

Here is the other half of the picture (now gone from the website). It's captioned :-
"16 July 1940 at the Northern Command RAOC workshops in York". The military mechanics are being taught motorcycle maintenance while civy employees continue to service machines. A range of civy and WD paint schemes and civy number plates on impressed bikes. ron

photo Scan-131018-0002_zpsfbe2b44c.jpg

Nieuwe pagina 1