Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cam replacement advice

I want to pop down to Russell's Wednesday this week, they have the NOS cams I need complete with bushes, may I ask if there are any other parts I should be getting at the same time to do the job? I know it's a case of taking it to bits first, but I'd rather head down whilst I have the day off and don't have time to open the cover up. Thanks...

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Re: cam replacement advice

I'd probably choose to replace the lifters too, wouldn't want to prematurely wear the new cam with old worn lifters. And the two seals in the outer timing cover.

So why are you replacing the cams, just because you can still buy new ones? Or is there an issue with the engine?

Hi Kit..If the cam followers are worn you will need to replace them...However, be careful...To replace the followers you will need a cam spindle puller and (preferably) the correct tool for undoing the cam follower guides from the crankcase..
If they haven't been out before they can be a real sod to unscrew without the tool, as you can only use an open ended spanner on the (square) head of the follower guide. They can be, and usually are, VERY tight in the crankcase...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks, for the help. I'm replacing the cams as the engine is rather noisey, sounds like I shoul do the lifters too...

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Kit, to my mind, you'd be better off spending your day off looking inside the timing case! You can always phone Les from work and get stuff posted next day quite cheaply.

Just my two penneth. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Kit...Not much of the valve gear is prone to wear, though long service beyond the 'use by date' will wear anything out eventually...

The most likely candidates for wear/replacement will be the inlet and exhaust tappet heads..Wear on the top faces of these will lead to a 'false' oversize tappet clearance setting...
Next check out the faces of the cam followers...These should be flat to the eye and have a smooth finish....
Next check the cams, both the clearance between the teeth of the gear wheels and the crankshaft pinion gear teeth and the cams themselves...If the cams are worn this will be evident most in the area of maximum lift...The two cams are identical so compare one to the other to determine if there is excessive wear....
Excessive gear tooth clearance is one of the things that makes these engines noisy....
Check the intermediate gear teeth to cam gear teeth clearance as well and the inter. gear to mag drive gear clearance to ensure this is not excessive...
Also check that the crankshaft is running true...If the crank is outside of the .002" maximum allowable run out of the timing side shaft this will also make the engine very noisy....
Also, with the crankshaft nut, washer and outrigger plate removed check that the crankshaft pinion is a good fit onto the shaft and sliver key...There shouldn't be any free play here...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1