Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Primary drive woes

While mounting the primary drive I found out that the sprockets do not align; the clutch is about 6mm out (or the primary sprocket 6mm in )
This is not a healthy situation for the chain, and I wonder what's the cause.

photo Primarydrive1_zps30c9b324.jpg

I remember there was something with a hardened steel washer on the crank shaft?

Primary drive 2 photo Primarydrive2_zpsa193d08e.jpg

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Re: Primary drive woes

Hi Hans...There are two types of crankshaft sleeve (that the engine sprocket fits over)...One has a shoulder built in on the rear face as part of the sleeve (the type shown in your photo)
The other type has no shoulder on the back but uses a separate spacer instead, which fits into the recess in the crankcase before the sleeve is fitted...
So, with the 'shouldered' type shown there would be no seperate spacer and you shouldn't have a misalignment problem.....

Are the gearbox mounting plate studs tight?..In other words, is the gearbox 'square' between the plates?...A slight angle here may produce the misalignment you are seeing....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I concur. Check gearbox for squareness first.

Well, I checked with a straight-edge between the front and rear yoke plates and guess: 2.8 mm out of alignment
The rear frame is more out of alignment than I thought.
So back to the galleys

Hans WDM20 58764
Well, I checked with a straight-edge between the front and rear yoke plates and guess: 2.8 mm out of alignment
The rear frame is more out of alignment than I thought.
So back to the galleys

Yes, it is
But I found a specialized shop where they straighten all kind of frames, including pre-WW1 ones. Expensive, but I have to bite the bullet

Hi Hans,

Are you sure you have the 3 spacers at the back of gearbox yokeplate in the correct position? They are easily mixed.

Good luck, Michiel

Yes Michiel, everything is in the correct space. But I already had a faint feeling that something was wrong when I mounted the first cross studs; too many hammer blows were needed. Stupid of course, I should have known better

Surely you're not going to strip it all down? Make a spacer for behind the sprocket. I doubt a bent frame would cause that sort of misalignment. You must be bored Hans.

Nieuwe pagina 1