Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bolts, nuts and screws

Hello All,
Does somebody knows if there is a LIST with all types and sizes of the bolts, nuts and screws for the BSA m20.
I like to know the number of the part with length and TPI and which type of threat.
I found only a list in the part manual of 1939 with number and size and length, but no TPI or type of threat.

Richard

email (option): bsa-m20@libero.it

Re: Bolts, nuts and screws

There is one available for the Norton 16H, don't know about the BSA M20 tho'

A lot of them are on the technical section of this forum, the rest are mainly 1/4" x 26tpi , 5/16" x 26tpi and 3/8"x26tpi the lengths are easily measured. When measuring bolt sizes, make sure you measure them from under the head.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I want to restore my BSA m20 and I think that the bike allready was restored before on a wrong way.
The bolts are on e diferent place as before, so I am not sure it's the wright size, but I found this list in the partlist of 1939 and maybe this will help.
But I think that not all of it does have CEI 26TPI.

Richard

email (option): bsa-m20@libero.it

Into aluminium at 1/4" and 5/16 diameters the threads are generally Whitworth...In larger sizes some are different (the cam follower guides for example)

Carburettors, switches, other electrical equipment, speedos and handle bar controls are mainly BA.(British Association)..

CEI (Cycle Engineers Institute/[BSCY] British Standard Cycle Thread) is also used in the 20 threads per inch form for some applications such as the rear wheel spindle, some frame bolts, barrel base studs etc. etc....Anywhere you find 20 tpi it will be this thread...

Headbolts and the oil unions into the crankcase are BSF.(British Standard Fine)...
Whitworth, CEI/BSCY and BSF all use the Whitworth head sizes on bolts but those sizes vary for a given diameter of thread in the different thread forms...

There is no definitive list of all the fasteners for any BSA M20/21 production year that I know of to date...

My advice would be to get some Imperial thread pitch gauges and the relevant thread form information...It's all on the internet...You will have to work out lengths etc. as you go if you can't find them in the manuals.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Some carb stuff is actually ME thread, or Model Engineers, Martyn Bratby told me years ago, but cannot remember which treads??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1