Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WO/G3 wheel bearings

Has anyone found a 'modern' roller bearing replacement for G3 rear wheels?
Thanks Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: WO/G3 wheel bearings

Hi Pete

If you let me know what the original is, I will look up what possible alternatives there are.
Regards
Darren.

Email is best

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

You can use the G3L rear wheel bearings, they are available, front is a different matter though.

Darren, it's Matchless made inner cup, so nothing commercially would cross over.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

i know this may be off pat abit,but, i know the owners club do a conversion with a sleeve and modern sealed bearings,it's a case of fit and forget,i don't know if the sizes are compatible but worth a look.
I fitted mine when it all went wrong with the speedo drive tightening up,very frightening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not cheap though.
hope this helps
chris

email (option): fj1200@talktalk.net

Rear ones are on Oz ebay thankfully. Front girder ones forget it. Unless they're the same as rear?

Chris, I used one of those sealed units on the front wheel of my G3L and it needed a bit of machining to fit but its been faultless ever since. Does anyome know if the G3 and G3L front bearings are the same, I'm unsure as obviously the G3 has internal speedo gear.
Pete

The front G3 bearings are about 1/2" shorter then the rears, so will not fit direct, but have heard of using rears, by cutting the middle in two, (and shortning them) and using a sleeve over the 2 pieces, have heard from someone this works well, (the outside dia. of the bearings are all the same, as are the cups)

Another solution for the front is to use a G3L axle with bearings, and turn the ends down, to the girderfork spindle size, and thread them, have done this mod for a friend, and he's happy with it, speedo drive works, and you can even use the thick threaded washer, to adjust the brake plate, a lot of carefull measuring is reqiured though!

The G3L front axle is quite hard to machine, but once you have done several cuts, it gets softer, and then you get to where I don't like it so much, how strong is it really??

Must have some pictures, sketches somewhere, will try to post later.

Ron here had some G3 front bearings for sale, at a good price, only time I've ever seen them for sale, ask him maybe?? (was 2 years ago I think)

Cheers,

Lex

AS far as I know all G3 front and rears and G3L rears are the same bearing, and I have used them in my bikes for decades.

G3L bearings with integral spindle are availiable as cassette bearings from AMC club and others, but I thought the ones in my last bike were crap and substituted an original set. It seemed from the construction of the casette bearings that you could not replace the bearings just the whole assembly.

I always advise to use a decent older set of originals, I have never found the need to replace these bearings on either of my rigid frame bikes in 40 years.

The only time I did change them was because I found some new ones back then.

The biggest enemy of them is overtightening and pressure washers.

grease them liberally on assembley and forget the grease nipple in the hub, its pointless.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Hi Pete

I am not familiar with the references used on the G3 or G3L as I don't have one of these bikes. But, if you can let me know what your numbers are or proper dimensions ( not simply, its the same as...) then I will try to help you.

Darren

ken
AS far as I know all G3 front and rears and G3L rears are the same bearing, and I have used them in my bikes for decades.

Ken, I'm strictly talking about girder forked G3's not the later type with the same model designation, so maybe Pete is not talking about the early type?

Since this is a WD forum, I just assumed girder forked G3's.

1940 G3WO front bearing number: UF-11908 rear wheel bearing number: UF-11905
1941 G3L Front bearing number: UF-40-G12M-H10 rear bearing number: UF-11905
These numbers are bearing assemblies, 2 cups, 2 cones (on one axle), and 2 rollers assy's.

Can make some measurements later tonight, if needed?

Cheers,

Lex

Lex, I am referring to the rigids also.

I have never relied on parts list, being only too aware of their shortcomings I can only say that of all the wheels and bearings I have are the same in this regard.

I have 1 1938 500 Matchless
I G3L WD
I 1960 Matchless

the WDG3L has the same rearwheel bearing as is in the front and rear of the 38 500cc,or WOG3 girder the only difference is that it is reversed,for the speedo drive hub.

The front of the G3L, the one with the integral spindle will fit all AMC single sided hubs, 6 or 7 inch and also the full width ones.
you can switch bearings ad lib in these hubs.

the 1960 G3 front spindle& bearing set up is the same as the WDG3L, I know that as I nicked a WD one one for the 1960 bike.

I have a NOS UF11905 rear bearing that I plan to use so therefore now looking for a UF11908 if anyone has a spare for sale. I will also list in wanted.

Here 2 pictures with some measurements, the Matchless Parts lists are usually OK, maybe not the postwar ones, but have found the wartime ones very reliable.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes on the picture, o.s. means outside, and o/s Cups, is the distance measured on the outside when the cups are fitted.

With a lot of bodging, the rear bearing may be fitted in a front hub, but it would not be safe I think. An alternative, is to cut a rear one in two, shorten it, and fit a aluminium sleeve on the outside, it can't go anywhere!

Hope this helps, and Darren can find some replacement bearings??

Cheers,

Lex

Only Matchless could make 'arse about face' wheel bearings Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier

Well, what about Thriumph (impossible) and BSA???

Once adjusted, and as Ken said, no pressure washers, they will last a lifetime! (if you upgrade to the rubber seals instead of the felt, it's even better.)

Cheers,

Lex

Ron Pier

Well, what about Thriumph (impossible) and BSA???

Once adjusted, and as Ken said, no pressure washers, they will last a lifetime! (if you upgrade to the rubber seals instead of the felt, it's even better.)

Cheers,

Lex

Called into see Les Russell today and he had a NOS front hub including bearing so all sorted now.

well, Lex. I am totally amazed thats something I have never seen before in 50 yrs of Matchless meddling and I have had, still have NOS sets, all the same overall sizes which I have always used front and rear, pre war G3/G80 and G3L with no problems.

also sold a few sets and had no complaints

I used to remove telefork spindle from 7inch hubs to use the hub in girder forks, with these sets they all fit.

I wonder if its a matter of juggling spacers and adjusters? As I have loads maybe I never needed to wonder.

maybe they sent different ones to Holland? some prototype EU nonsense no doubt?

Ken, the difference may be that prewar front hubs are a bit less wide?? I don't know, but my stuff usually comes from all over the world, have even a G3WO in the USA, so certainly not a "Dutch" thing!

Another difference is the actual brake drum, prewar and G3WO they are finned, 3 fins from the top of my head, and postwar they have sort of one fin. easily changed, with the little screws.

Anyway, off to a big jumble in Germany now, so I may find some goodies there! (if Matchlles, they usually don't know what it is!)

Cheers,

Lex

same hub but different drum every time I have used them.

however with your ability to come up with an alternative bit I am hedging my bets

The usual Matchless saga.. ...Back to front bearings and 5 different versions..... ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

don't forget all those bloody spacers.

Sorry lex. I had not been on here for a few days. I will have a look at work and get back to you ASAP.
Darren

Darren, I don't need anything at the moment, but the others seem to??

But would be nice to know if there was a reasonably price "Fix"

Thanks,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1