Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indian engined Matchless

A few weeks ago I had an afternoon visit from Peter Long of 'Cornucopia' whilst he was in the UK. He was quite interested in the BSA/Indian special that I'm building and said that he'd taken some photos of an Indian/Matchless some years ago. The photos just arrived today.
Although the bike is badged as Matchless the complete front end looks like post war Royal Enfield Model G to me. Just out of interest. Ron
 photo Scan-131005-0008_zpsf74645bf.jpg

photo Scan-131005-0009_zps183de306.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Indian engined Matchless

That one's a Scoutless. What engine are you using, Ron?

There was a rather neatly-done Chiefless posted on eBay USA a few years ago. I was sorely tempted.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Mine is a 741 engine (bored to nearly 600cc) Ron

photo IndianS211_zpsac993076.jpg

photo IndianS209_zps568a87dd.jpg

What are you using as a charging system Ron?

There's not enough room to adopt a normal Indian dynamo, so I've mounted a prepared Miller dynamo from a Velo behind the rear cylinder, and modified the belt pulley to chain drive to run off the engine sprocket. I'll use a 10 amp battery and maybe carry a spare to start with Ron

photo IndianS215_zps64b95cab.jpg

It's looking very neat, Ron. Almost too neat. You're going to be dealing with a lot of "That's the wrong front mudguard for that year" sort of comment...

You do know by the way that those Type 76s were always dull chrome plated on the road-going models ?

Lovely brass carb, I suppose you knee miss's it when you sit on the bike?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Well Rik, that is the beauty of building a special. No criteria to adhere to! I can do exactly what I want as nothing is written in a book.
Rob I'm quite sure the carb is OK, but I'll let you know if my trouser leg gets sucked into the carb on the first ride out Ron

I just received an email from Peter regarding the Matchless/Indian.:-

Hello Ron
Just for interest, Photos taken some 12 years ago (Utrecht Holland) was told a small series of the Matchless / Indians Spares was ( imported by a Dutch firm that sold and assembled them)
In the early 1950s ( Check with Henk ?) Have seen the same bike restored in Holland two years ago.
Regards Peter

Your special is looking great Ron, looks nearly finished
It looks lovely in the red, and a contrast to all the green bikes you've got. And to think you were going to do it gloss green

I'm sure it will be up and running in no time

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ron Pier
I just received an email from Peter regarding the Matchless/Indian.:-

Hello Ron
Just for interest, Photos taken some 12 years ago (Utrecht Holland) was told a small series of the Matchless / Indians Spares was ( imported by a Dutch firm that sold and assembled them)
In the early 1950s ( Check with Henk ?) Have seen the same bike restored in Holland two years ago.
Regards Peter

Ron, I dont see any Matchless parts there?? and never heard of the story either, will ask Peter when I see him coming weekend.

Yes a nice bike! Indian M761?? coming along nicely! only I would say personally that the headlamp is sticking out a bit too much?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

I don't like to be critical...and Ron might want it that way...But as you've mentioned it Lex, I had the same thought....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Point taken about the headlamp! I decided from the start that I wanted those pre war (Sloper) headlamp brackets. So the steering stem is off something around 1935. When I fitted the sloper brackets, the headlamp was far to far forward. So my mate John devised a way to machine these 'S' shaped brackets to move the front mounting spigots back by an inch. But I've just turned the 'U' clamps up the other way which has moved the headlamp back some more. Also with the switch panel, speedo and heavy speedo cable when I get it to fill up some of the air gap. The measurement is actually not far off a standard M20.
Ron
 photo IndianS217_zpsa5183f6c.jpg
It's this sort of look I was after.
 photo 1934_m12_zpsb9fd3bfb.jpg

Very nice but get rid of the flat cap

But But! It goes so well with my tweeds and spats

Ron

Nice Bike super to drive it with a 4 speed gear If its a 600 cc you do not know how fast it wil go.I owned a indian 741 for several years and it was faster then a Liberator. I have a verry good spare Indian 741 engine and this give me an idee If I got time enough when i am with pension. Gr. Theo Schipper

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Yes I agree Theo, although speed is not part of my agenda. But I do like to have some pulling power and some acceleration. A standard 741 engine develops 15 BHP which is 3 BHP more than an M20. The increase in capacity will give me a couple more I guess.........and the 741 engine is considerably lighter than an M20. A normal operated clutch and four speed foot change was also part of the criteria.

Ron

A handsome specimen Ron! It looks very smart in red and black. Don't forget to post some pictures when it's finished.

Nieuwe pagina 1