Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
clutch reme fix

Hi,
Just got my bike running again after a disaster with my first attempt (as I didn't realize it was missing the crankshaft spacer and I siezed the bearings) anyway all good now but I cant get the clutch to work properly.
I checked tolerence as suggested and thats ok , I have new fibre plates and steel plates also a nos centre spring and I bought another sliding plate from draganfly and I have removed 1 steel and 1 fibre plate. No matter what I do I cant stop the clutch from lifting uneven. When I try to put it in gear it just grinds through the gears and wont select although it selects gears fine without the motor running .I read about a reme fix but cant find any info on what to do. Any help appreciated. I was going to put a before and after photo of my bike on but I did it as a civilian model so werent sure if you guys would be interested.

Cheers ,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: clutch reme fix

Hi Mike,
i cant help with the clutch query but as another rider of a bike in civvie finish i would be keen to see your pics, and despite being a died in the wool Norton man i even enjoy seeing another BSA back to life, whatever stage of it's life it now reflects
Iain

The last two pages of the "Green Book" contains a description of that modification; this afternoon I'll scan them (unless someone is quicker with the scan procedure )

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Ok thanks Hans. Here are my pics. I didnt have a lot to start with so this is as good as I could do.

photo pic2_zps959584d7.jpg

photo pic1_zps47e1e56f.jpg

Here are the relevant pages:

Clutch mod 1 photo Clutchmodification1_zps54cbfe18.jpg

photo Clutchmodification2_zps9764da74.jpg

Thank you very much Hans the info is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

Verrrry smart, well done. It is sometimes difficult to believe it is the same bike eh?

This REME fix doesn't really work that well, it kind of works as long as the spring doesn't rotate opposite the nut, as when it does all adjustments are not working any more.

The uneven lifting isn't a real problem any more when two plates are removed from the clutch. There is enough lift then to make the clutch work properly.

I have been strugeling with my clutch for years, until I removed these last two plates.

I now have a complete clutch set from Gerrit Bruggink and this will make all problems disappear. Just the spring Gerrit makes should actually make any M20 clutch work like a dream.

Henk

http://thb-support.nl/webshop/index.php?cPath=38_25

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks for the advice Henk. I did email Gerrit Bruggink about buying just the spring setup and he advised that using the clutch plates as well would be preferable. So I will have to wait until I can save some more money as I assume postage would be costly as well.

Hi Mike...The bike looks great..
While you are saving up the cash for new clutch parts check out the piece on the clutch in the 'technical section'..It runs through problems in some detail....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Hans,

You refer to the "Green Book". Not heard of this before. Can you tell me what it is, and if it is available. Thanks.

Peter

email (option): petergsmith73@btinternet.com

Hello Hans,

You refer to the "Green Book". Not heard of this before. Can you tell me what it is, and if it is available. Thanks.

Peter

email (option): petergsmith73@btinternet.com

Hi Peter,
This is the "Green Book"; I don't know if it is still available through Ian !

green book photo Greenbook.jpg

Steve Madden has an original and very kindly did a 'one off' run of copies for a group of us. I'm very pleased that I have one. It's full of details of wear limits and such. I also have the Matchless book. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Henk WM20 2415
This REME fix doesn't really work that well, it kind of works as long as the spring doesn't rotate opposite the nut, as when it does all adjustments are not working any more.

The uneven lifting isn't a real problem any more when two plates are removed from the clutch. There is enough lift then to make the clutch work properly.

I have been strugeling with my clutch for years, until I removed these last two plates.

I now have a complete clutch set from Gerrit Bruggink and this will make all problems disappear. Just the spring Gerrit makes should actually make any M20 clutch work like a dream.

Henk

Henk,

Which plates did you remove to make your clutch better, two friction plates?

About Gerrit's clutch... Does this new clutch still run dry? Do you use all other components in the clutch besides the large spring and plates?

Kevin

Hi Kevin...You remove the last two plates in the stack (the outer two)...So, one steel and one fibre plate....Ian

Thanks, Ian. As always!

Here is the real front cover:

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

That's not the only one Lex...I have another original 'standards book' for the M20 which is in a different format altogether...and with a different cover...Ian

"Restricted" Lord knows what would happen if the axis got hold of it!!

Nieuwe pagina 1