Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox seal plates

I think I'm going to have to take the gearbox back out of my bike as it's dropping a bit of oil from themain sprocket big bearing, has anyone got any photos of how the metal sealing plates are supposed to fit to the bearing, as the ones I had from Draganfly seem far to sloppy (part #: 24-4225), and think the inner plate isn't doing anything of any use?

Julian

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Re: Gearbox seal plates

Whatever you do , you don't have to take the box out for resto work. Just use a heatgun to remove bearings.

Thanks Douglas,
That will save a hell of allot of work, I just don't get the steel plates and how they shield the main sprocket bearing, I was hoping they would of been a tight fit but knew when it went together that something wasn't quite right, yet I should of asked earlier.

Julian

I always fit a modern sealed for life bearing and flip the inner seal out. No more leaks.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Now that sounds like a plan Ron, just get a rubber sealed bearing and expose the inner race for the gearbox oil to feed?
Will see what I can source, do you know the part number for the sealed bearing?

Kind regards,

Julian

Sealed bearing extension codes:

2RS1 = 2 Rubber seals
2RSR = 2 Rubber seals
DDU = 2 Rubber seals
2Z = 2 Metal shields
ZZ = 2 Metal Shields

you can easily take out one or 2 of them.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Sealed bearing extension codes:

2RS1 = 2 Rubber seals
2RSR = 2 Rubber seals
DDU = 2 Rubber seals
2Z = 2 Metal shields
ZZ = 2 Metal Shields

you can easily take out one or 2 of them.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I think the modern bearing I'm therefore looking for is 6207-2RS or 6207-ZZ.
What is best for these gearboxes, the metal shields or the rubber shields?

Julian

The rubber seals are more suitable..so the '2RS' suffix on the bearing number...
You should also still fit the steel washers, the inner one affects the final position of the sleeve gear within the box and the outer one the final position of the gearbox sprocket..The inner washers inside diameter should be a close fit on the sleeve gear...the outer one can 'float' a little within the recess in the gearbox case that locates it....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just got the seal plates and a new 6207-2rs main bearing for the gearbox, but on closer inspectio, I know that a little oil was seeping from the gearbox, but the main drip seems to be from the back of the primary chaincase cover.

As the gearbox and clutch are coming out, I saw a post somewhere that someone claimed they had found a way to seal this primary cahincase? I have the standard felt seal and plates currently but there is a significant loss with the current standard setup, what is the best fairly straight forward way to seal this better?

Julian

I just went through this issue. Make sure your rivets for the scroll seal are tight. I had to re-stake mine. I also smeared a thin film of permatex #2 non-hardening gasket sealant at the joint between the scroll seal and the plate. A thin film of permatex is also a good idea on the washers used on the two screws. Next, make sure your seal plate is tight with the two screws that hold it in place on the primary inner cover. It should squeeze the felt ring tightly. And lastly, use ATF red oil in the primary so you can see exactly what oil is leaking. It can be very difficult to troubleshoot a leak when there can be three possible sources: engine, gearbox, or primary.

Hope that helps, just trying to give back to this community where I have learned so much.

Excellent response Kevin, will use what you have said.
Fantastic, love the Red ATF idea to help pin point a bit closer what is going on, as it is just a soggy patch of oil that I can only tell from the levels what is lossing what.

Julian

Someone used to sell a version of the sliding plate with an oil seal replacing the felt "washer", but I can't find it anymore!
I did recently find a picture of one that someone made up out of aluminium plate with a sealholder ring fixed to it but again I can't find the picture!
I have some 3mm plate and an oil seal of the correct size and it is one of my many projects to some day get around to making one myself. If I do or if I can find the damn Picture I'll post it.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Found one!

not the one I was thinking of and this is a Phil Pearson product so bears the "Gold Star" label and will cost accordingly! 45 quid!

No idea why this damn Picture will not load but I think the link works!

Cheers
Pete

http://www.bsa-goldstar.com/bsa-goldstar-engine-parts/25-bsa-goldstar-oil-seal-sliding-plate.html

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hi Pete C,

Is this the picture you're looking for?

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1261400&cmd=show

André

email (option): vplrn@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1