Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear mudguard query

I am working my way through my M20 project which is coming along nicely. I am now looking at the rear mudguard which seems to be a bit short. The tail piece looks like a B31 and the rest looks original but has been shortened for some reason. I would like to make these fit but i need to know how long they should be. The tail piece measures 17 1/2" inches and the long piece 35 1/2" .Any info much appreciated
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92675540@N03/8423376807/

Jeff

email (option): m90disco@fsmail

Re: Rear mudguard query

Hi Jeff..I doubt you have a B31 tail piece...The B31 has narrower mudguards than the M20 by quite a margin...You couldn't mix them up...
I can't give you any tailpiece dimensions at the moment but I'll take a measurement tomorrow if no one beats me to it....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Sorry I uploaded the wrong photo, here is a picture of the mudguards i have and one of the progress with the bike so far .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92675540@N03/10058867776/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92675540@N03/10058870506/
Jeff

That is a post war hinged type. The correct one has a drop off tail piece fixed with two bolts. Ron

photo M20130_zpsfa6f5165.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, your M20 must be an early one with the ribbed rear mudguard, many of the rear mudguards have a flat profile without the rib. I'm sure somebody will chime in with the exact date they switched over but I believe it was fairly early on in production?

Hi Jeff - mine is like Rons photo but is flat – no rib. The tail is 14 7/8 and the main guard is 41 ¼ inches both overall. My bike is contract C11101 and came out of the factory on 13 Feb 1942.
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Apart from the lack of the rib the unribbed mudguard is dimensionally the same as the ribbed one...The rib was deleted in late 43 I think...I would have to check the lists to see whether it was actually a little later than that or not...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the info on the lengths. Does the tail piece just overlap or is there any locating plates underneath. I presume there are captive nuts on the main mudguard to bolt to. The last thing i need to know is how much does one overlap the other. Next job a bit of metal bashing and welding .
Thanks Jeff

Jeff Riggs
Thanks for the info on the lengths. Does the tail piece just overlap or is there any locating plates underneath. I presume there are captive nuts on the main mudguard to bolt to. The last thing i need to know is how much does one overlap the other. Next job a bit of metal bashing and welding .
Thanks Jeff

Yes, the tail piece overlaps the main mudguard about an inch, there are captive nuts on the underside of the main part, and slots in the tail piece.
On the outside edges of the mudguard, there are pointed pins to locate in the rounded edge of the sides. You loosen the fixings on the tail part and can slide it off , less chance of losing the fixing bolts and nuts in the mud for roadside repairs!

Looks like I need just over 3" of extra mudguard.
Many Thanks for all the measurments & info you all have provided.
Has anyone purchased one of them indian made mudguards yet, not sure if that would be an easier option !.

Jeff

Jeff.
May I suggest that you give 'renovation spares' a call first before getting the Indian stuff. His name is Simon Stephens 01527 402654 or you could e-mail him renovationspares@mail.com he get to some of the auto jumbles etc but I found him to be very knoledgeable chap, he has all of the tooling to produce mudguards and carries quite a range of stock.

Regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Thanks for the details ! i will drop him an email.

Jeff

The best ready to fit repros I have seen are from Frederick in Belgium.
ffmotoronderdelen@skynet.be

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron ! I will give them a try as well.

Jeff

Nieuwe pagina 1