Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch plates stuck together

I am assembling my WDM20, and when I came to my clutch, the plates came out in one block, solidly stuck together.

I had to separate them with a pen knife; the Ferodo rings (yes, with asbestos, and yes, I'm still alive ) were glazed and the steel plates were rusted.
These I lightly grit blasted, but left the Ferodos alone.

How can I prevent this happening; wipe the steel plates with a (very slightly) oiled rag? Moreover, I will leave out one Ferodo and one steel ring for a lighter clutch.
Your opinion is as always welcome

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Re: Clutch plates stuck together

I've never experienced sticking plates on my M20 But it happens frequently on the WB30 that is parked up for long periods. I always manage to clear it by holding the clutch lever in whilst kicking over the engine. I wouldn't put any oil on the plates as they're meant to be dry. Rather just kick the bike over now and then or even hold the clutch lever in with a cable tie when it's stored.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The WB30 has a Triumph clutch fitted and suffers from that peculiarity, which is a well known feature of Triumph clutches..I think in that case it may have something to do with the friction material used....They can generally be persuaded to separate with a bit of kicking...
The M20 clutch can sometimes stick together if left for long periods without use...As this is a dry clutch corrosion is generally the culprit here...
Once firmly stuck you are unlikely to free the plates off by kicking the bike over etc...A strip down is usually the only answer...and even then you will struggle to get the plates apart!...

The best thing to do if the bike is being left without use for a long period would be to pull in the clutch, kick it over to ensure the plates are separated and then...as Ron suggests...cable tie the clutch lever to the handlebar....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

My Matchless does this if I leave it for more than a week without using it. The clutch never used to stick when the old corks were in it, it's only started doing it since I swapped the plates for Surflex ones. I clear it by putting the bike in gear, holding the clutch in and rocking the bike back and forth a few times until it pops apart.

Nieuwe pagina 1