Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
too much movement in clutch or normal?

I rebuilt the gearbox and now I fear there is too much movement in the clutch basket. I have retightened everything 3 times and the roller bearings are new. I know there should be some movement but this much? Is the cork washer too long and not allowing things to be tightened? I appreciate the help.

https://plus.google.com/photos/115674442219018009194/albums/5930046225206247777

email (option): jeff.robbins75@gmail.com

Re: too much movement in clutch or normal?

There is always some play there, often more then you actually want, but this is a lot. Are you sure you have the right size rollers? They should be 1/4" x 1/4".

I have tried 1/4" x 5/16" in my clutch but these are to long and the clutch got stuck when it was tightened up.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

so if i am hearing you correctly... If I take off the clutch cover and the movement is from the clutch hub then it is the rollers...... What happens if the movement is from the chainwheel having too much play against the clutch centre?? Thanks for the help

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

The clutch centre is the fixed part of the clutch and if they chainwheel has play it can only be at the rollers. My clutch also has quite a bit of play but not nearly as much as yours. When I fitted the 5/16" rollers it was a TIGHT fit so the play was less then 1/4" in my case. I didn't measure it but had no problems with it for many miles.

Henk

I should say that the centre is supposed to be the fixed part of the clutch. With the cover fitted you can't really see if the centre is really fixed to the main shaft of the gearbox. I once had a clutch centre that needed quite a tick washer between the centre and the nut to be able to tighten it properly to the taper of the shaft.

Henk

Nieuwe pagina 1