Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CHARGE!!!

I think some of us have seen this before. But it's great. Probably training on Salisbury plain or somewhere in Hampshire. MK1 Carriers, M20's, Big 4's and a think a 16H on the far left. Ron

photo 40622_zpsbb027076.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: CHARGE!!!

And talking of carriers.... Sharing this.
Full screen- sound on- and about 15 minutes.

http://youtu.be/DEpz9KQCkUY

Ron

Any idea how these ended up there?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes...The great British 'cavalry charge'...

Unfortunately what looked like it might have been a form of 'blitzkrieg' wasn't....

Although Liddell and others had proposed the principles in the 30's those in command failed to see the merit of it and still thought and acted like the cavalry officers many of them were..

It all looked very impressive but proved to be a doctrine that fell a long way behind the thinking and tactics of the opposition ...

The 'mechanised rush' probably came in more useful on the retreat to Dunkirk when the flaws in this backward thinking were fully exposed...but it did make for a nice propaganda photo...

Sadly, many of the men in this picture and just about all of the equipment probably remained in France at a later date to prove the point.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Yes...The great British 'cavalry charge'...

Sadly, many of the men in this picture and just about all of the equipment probably remained in France at a later date to prove the point.....Ian

Ian, this is most probably a post Dunkirk picture.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

'67' (on brown)indicates a battalion within the junior brigade of an infantry division according to the 1941 schemes. Certainly not a series current in May 1940.

This is probably a propaganda photo intended to show how Britain's mechanised army was ready to strike back.

Henk, if you are referring to the carriers. They were dumped there off a British ship on the way home. Ron

Yes that wasn't very clear but indeed these carriers on the bottom of the sea. They dragged one of these carriers on shore a few years ago on Malta with the plans to restore it. Not sure what happened with that one.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Oh those poor carriers!! I've never seen this film and I almost wish I hadn't! I wonder if you would actually be allowed to salvage any of these? The marine life has got a good hold and the environmental people would probably play merry hell if you upset the coral and crabs?

Back in the 1970's I was tipped off about a lorry breaker in Green Street Green Kent that had ex military stuff.
Paid them a vist and there was Bren carriers stacked two by two like shoe boxes about 4 or 5 high.

Just had a look at google satelite Green Street Green, Kent DA2 and there is a large site that looks very interesting with lots of heavy machinery hidden in undergrowth.

anyone know it?

a better look on Bing, and use the birdseye facility some of it looks very dark green, especially at the back.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=green+street+green&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4#Y3A9NTEuNDEzMzUwfjAuMjc4NjkwJmx2bD0xMyZzdHk9ciZ0bT0lN0IlMjJXZWxjb21lUGFuZWxUYXNrJTI0JTI0MiUyMiUzQW51bGwlN0Q=

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

there are two green street green in Kent one is near Orpington the other is near dartford I live in Orpington there was a scrap yard a few mile away from there I got some bit for my car from there in the late sixties I don't remember stacks of vehicles just everything spread over fields the only army thing I remember seeing was a V8 fordson lorry

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

The one I refer to is the Dartford area one, funnily enough I also knew the one nr Orpinton, Cudham? [ex Sydenham lad]and probably the same Fordson, also remember a big Scammel, which I nicked the REME workshop plate from, and at one time most of a Jet Plane fuselage, probably ex Biggin Hill.

It was a useful yard, long disapeared now I suppose.

The one in Dartford, still has loads of jeeps in a field, but too far gone really, and not for sale, or insane money!

Did buy jeep spares there a loooong time ago.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

The practice of leaving desirable stuff out in the open to rot while asking ever increasing prices for it is a very weird phenomonen.

When I asked the price of one of those Bren carriers the answer was
"dunno, can't be bothered to get one down"

There's a scrappy nr Hitchin in the UK, several WD trucks and a David Brown airfield tractor that I had my eye on years ago but as all the others, being left outside to rot with prices going up all the time.

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1