Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel Photograph on eBay

Own up then. Is the Ariel fanatic who forced me to pay silly money for this photo a poster on the forum ?

I assume that I was bidding against an Ariel owner as that was the only make mentioned in the description.

photo A1940C4102688W5131C5109_zps43f6d4cf.jpg

The Norton is from C5109 and fairly close to mine so I just 'had' to have it. I can't pick out the Ariel numbers yet but the photo is probably later than 1940...1941 or even 1942 I suspect.

Re: Ariel Photograph on eBay

Shame about the camera flash on the tanks. But the start number 4 indicates one of the first four contracts demanded in 41 or even the 5th contract in 42. Early bikes Still with rubber mounted handlebars and rubber grips and metal tank badges. I didn't bid Rik.......I just nicked yours. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice picture, do they still have tax discs in the holders?

And can you do a better scan of the cap badges and BD insignia please.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Didn't they supply a special WO or MOS tax disc in the early days? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, that's just the eBay seller's image. If you want Hi-res then you'll have to ask really nicely.

The original has been sent to UK so I won't have it for a while. I've been squinting at the cap badges and wondering. The coloured F.S.caps should help. Could they be RAOC ? The light coloured piping on the edege, on a single colour cap restricts things and it may be that the RAOC red piping around the crown simply isn't visible.

It goes without saying that I'll want to haul as much out of the image as possible.

They can't be proper tax discs as there is no civilian reg number and they are post September 1939 bikes so would never have had them.

I was thinking they maybe Royal Army Service Corp they look like the one I have black with white piping

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Examination of the original photo shows that the Norton is actually C4102686 (very poor numbering on the front plate)I've no record of W5129 surviving post-war.

The Ariels appear to be C4458864 (C8722 - November 1940 on) and C4590306 (C10477). This is a Chilwell RAOC census and the last of these were completed December 1941 which must put this photo as mid- 1942 at least.

Unit require further research. Lack of markings on motorcycles seems to be the general rule (regrettably)

Nieuwe pagina 1