Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H frame and engine numbers - help please

Well, my new Norton 16H project has arrived and is very much as I expected.
Most things are OK & those that are wrong should be relatively easily sorted. But the paintwork is appalling. I was warned by the seller that it was a dog's dinner so no unpleasant surprises fortunately.

My first question:
As I have lent my WD motorcycles book to a friend I am unable to accurately date the machine, so a bit on info would be greatly appreciated.
The frame number is W91103 and the engine number is W85249

No doubt there will be many further questions to follow.

TIA
Ian

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Re: Norton 16H frame and engine numbers - help please

Ian, both your engine and frame are fairly 'late' in the conflict.

Frame no. W91103 carried census number C5485503 and was built under the last substantial wartime contract, S5161 which was reduced from 6000 to 4600 machines. Although scheduled for delivery at 1200 per month commencing July 1944, they seem to have arrived later as those built after March 1945 were to be made 'suitable for the Tropics' and there is an indication that the last bikes were delivered during June 1945.

The engine W85249 is slightly earlier and formed part of S2602. Originally fitted to C5268449, delivery here should have been at 1600 per month commencing January 1944.

I'd expect your bike to have been originally fitted with 7/8" handlebars rather than the earlier 1" and to have been without steering damper.

Do you have any contract or rebuild plates attached or indication of post-war registration number ?

I have no wartime photographs of S5161 machines in service (the only example being in post-war Greek service)and this is probably to be expected of vehicles deliverd to Chilwell close to V.E. Day. Bikes from S2602 were certainly in NW Europe during the winter of 1944-45. Although it is more common to display a census number relating to the frame, this number is often under a layer of paint and the engine number is much more visible. In a case like this, it might be interesting to display the number tied to the engine.

Blimey, that was quick.

No contract or rebuild plates attached.

The bike has 1" bars and a steering damper.
Can you cast any light on why?

Also, if a C number is known, is it possible to trace which regiment etc it was used by?

Thanks
Ian

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Probably no significance in the 1" bars etc. other than maybe a post-war military rebuild or a civilian restoration (the engine must have been substitited at some point). Are the handlebar clamps alli or cast iron ?

Wartime service is next to impossible to trace and to be honest a frame from S5161 may well not have seen wartime service. There may be a clue to post war service if it is in the 'Key cards'...which is why a rebuild plate with post-war registration number would have been handy.

This is W85289 in The Netherlands during the winter of 1944.

photo B1944C5268489S26021944Holland_zps2ce4019c.jpg

There could be traces of a 15th (Scottish) Division marking on the mudguard. The Arm of Service serial '55' (on red) would indicate the senior battalion in an infantry division. All personnel of 15th Division were permitted this headgear so it might well be that the engine 40 later than yours served with 6th Royal Scots...but machines were issued at random and are just as likely to have gone to Italy or the Far East.

Cast iron

Nieuwe pagina 1