Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cam timing

could someone email me a better photo of the cams timing marks than the one in the bsa workshop manual you can only see one mark properly on their photo thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: cam timing

The cam pinions are interchangeable and consequently the timing marks are duplicated on both pinions. This should not cause any difficulty when timing the valves if it is remembered that the dash mark only is used for the inlet cam and the dot for the exhaust cam. (Fig. 23).

"dash to dash, dot to dot"

Align the intake cam dash mark against the timing pinion gear dash mark , and exhaust cam dot mark to the timing pinion gear dot mark and you are done....

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

Unless you have Goldie cams...Some Goldie cams are interchangeable..65-2446 (Scrambles inlet and exhaust/Clubmans exhaust) for example...These carry both the 'dot' and the 'dash'..Other Goldie cams are specific to either inlet or exhaust and then carry only one mark as appropriate for application...
BSA made it real easy though, even with these Goldie cams, once you know where it fits you just line up the mark as John described..
All Goldie cams have a part number stamped on them and you need to refer to Goldie literature to determine correct fitment for those......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

the problem is the dash on the pinion of the crank is almost non excitant in the end I have to get down on the floor with a light and a magnifying glass it was aligned re built mags aligned and sparking but still will not even fire once I have to give up at the moment arthritis in my ankle I will have to buy a bike with a starter motor I am not giving up riding motorcycles yet thanks everybody(poor old sod)

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

roger
the problem is the dash on the pinion of the crank is almost non excitant in the end I have to get down on the floor with a light and a magnifying glass it was aligned re built mags aligned and sparking but still will not even fire once I have to give up at the moment arthritis in my ankle I will have to buy a bike with a starter motor I am not giving up riding motorcycles yet thanks everybody(poor old sod)

Roger,

Sorry not to be more helpful with a clear photo. I think that if you can properly position the dot to dot for the exhaust cam, the drawing in the manual should give you a good feel for where the dash on the pinion "should" be so as to line up with the intake cam dash. Try counting over the number of pinion teeth in the diagram between the marks...?

And sorry to hear about the gammy ankle, I'm afraid we're all headed that way right behind you!

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

Hi Roger,

This picture might help you:

photo SAM_6356_zps79f0297c.jpg

The red line is where the groove for the key is. There is a teeth right on top of this groove. The dot is 2 teeth to the right and the dash is 2 teeth to the left.

Good luck, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga [ at ] hotmail.com

Hi Roger

I don't have Picture of a cam myself but this is on ebay at the Moment and the Picture Shows the Timing marks quite clearly.
Hope it helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-B31-Cams-/131000306680?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e803a0bf8

cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1