Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
any left side footrest removal tips (WDM20)?

My left side footrest is a bugger to remove. I spent about an hour today hammering on it with a rawhide mallet, pulling on it with vise grips wrapped in cardboard while hammering, etc. There's got to be a better way. Anyone got any tips?

Re: any left side footrest removal tips (WDM20)?

Hi Kevin, I experienced the same thing but with a bit of heat and a carefully situated gear removal tool it surrendered in the end..
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess I will look for a puller with two jaws. Perhaps that will help. Good idea about the heat. I guess the ol' heat gun will get another working out.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Not sure if this will work for you as my bike is a mix of B31 and M21 - but the LH footrest was a very tight fit on the splines when I rebuilt it and I wondered how I'd get it off if I needed to pull the chain case. However on mine, I found I could pull the RH peg off the splines more easily and then withdraw the remainder of the assembly through from the LH side with foot peg still attached to the splined shaft.

Cheers,
Bernie

email (option): bernie.a.jones@gmail.com

You have a point there, Bernie. I hadn't considered that. Much appreciated, I'll try it tonight.

Success!

I got that footrest off finally. The heat helped, but the best thing was using a valve spring compressor, a couple of socket extensions, and my trusty sand filled plastic mallet.

My primary chain tightened up a lot. Don't know why. I will also be investigating the spewing primary oil.

Wish me luck!

K

Re: Success!

Hi Kevin,

The primary chain usually gat tightened if the gearbox slides to the back,
Which usually happen by being pulled by the main drive chain.

It happen to me when my drive chain was too tight.

I would loose the main chain, adjust the primary chain tension,
(It has an adjuster under the gear oil fill cap)
and then tight it good.
It worked for me..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1