Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Formation Signs Query - 79th Armoured Brigade

I have recently purchased a WD Norton 16H and will be returning it to its original military trim rather than its current civvies.

Now I have a question about formation signs.

I had an uncle who served in the 79th Armoured Brigade (Hobart's Funnies) and I am wondering whether any motorcycles associated with the brigade would have had the bull's head as a formation sign or whether it would been 8th Armoured Brigade or even something else.

Any guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TTFN
Ian

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Re: Formation Signs Query - 79th Armoured Brigade

After thirty years of watching WD motorcycles being civilianised, often with excess chrome and spurious pre-war dates of manufacture, I'm finding it quite amusing that they're now being converted back again.

What year is your 16H, Ian ?

The aspect of motorcycle 'Formation' signs with 21st Army Group in NW Europe is unfortunately not as colourful as we would hope.

In general, all vehicles carried Formation Signs which in the case of 79th Armoured would have been the bull's head in a triangle. Brigades only carried their own sign in some cases when operating independently.

However, fairly early on in the war, there was an instruction issued that motorcycles should not carry a formation sign and that the 'Arm of Service' serial should be displayed on both sides of the fuel tank and the rear mudguard.

Quite why this policy was followed is not clear to me and I've never seen an explanation for it.

The earliest date that I've found documented is in 'Vehicle Markings 1942' dated 11/2/1942 and it is repeated in subsequent documents.

photo IMG_6457A_zpsdc7e02cb.jpg

photo 01.jpg

They were not entirely consistent in terminology. 'Arm of Service' serials are sometimes referred to as 'Unit Signs'.

These instructions notwithstanding, there are many within the world of WD motorcycles who either to pay tribute or simply out of interest, add a formation sign to a motorcycle fuel tank. I don't think that you'll often find an adverse reaction to it (and so what ?)'Forewarned is forearmed' though

Peter Hodges' book on markings includes a full list of the Arm of Service serials and colours used within 79th Armoured (their structure was quite non-standard) so it would be quite straightforward to look up any particular unit (what did your uncle do within the division ?)

Excellent information, many thanks.

The 16H's frame number is W91103, and from my research I've come up with this: Frame W90001-W96000 (though only 4600 supplied), contract no. S.5161, WD serial No. 5484401-5490400 only date given is 27/11/43

Regarding my uncle:
Up until March 1944, my 20 year old uncle (Tpr. Harry Hampson) was a gunner/wireless operator in the 4/7th Dragoon Guards (the guys with the Duplex Drive Shermans), but was then transferred to the HQ Squadron 8th Armoured Brigade. He landed on Gold Beach on D-Day with the 8th AB HQ, was wounded during Operation Epson, wounded again at Beringen Bridge on the Albert Canal on 9th September 1944 and died on 2 days later aged 21.

For the last 4 years I have been researching his war service and it strikes me that it would be a fantastic opportunity to restore my 16H to one that would have been familiar to him.

So, a little advice as to how best to achieve this would be greatly appreciate.

Many thanks
Ian

You can get a stencil for 79th Armoured from

http://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/Products/167-79th-armoured-brigade.aspx

Jeff

email (option): m90disco@fsmail

I had a 1941 Matchless G3L which had the formation sign of the 48th (South Midland) Division - (Second Pattern) which is post war, so I assume that this instruction was repealed. The formation sign on my bike was original.
I attach a photo if I could see how to do it !!!
Ian

Bearing in mind the 1942 instruction about not displaying formations signs on motorcycles.

I wish to pay tribute to my uncle who served in the 4/7th Dragoon Guards, I would be interested to know what formation signs etc a motorcycle in the 79th Armoured Brigade would have displayed prior to the 1942 instruction.

Thanks
Ian

Does this help

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?rlz=1G1ACAW_EN-GBUK554&biw=1680&bih=858&tbm=isch&tbnid=74zfuQUmhMaw1M:&imgrefurl=http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx%3Fart_id%3D590&docid=nuaL3zoJy43lvM&imgurl=http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/Modelling/Markings/8-Arm-Brig-Normandy.jpg&w=690&h=386&ei=BbJLUpy2CfKa0QXMrYCABQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:1,s:0,i:83&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=168&tbnw=300&start=0&ndsp=23&tx=156&ty=99

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Excellent, thanks for that, now I know what to do if I decide on a Normandy configuration.
All I need to sort out now is a pre-1942 option.
Thanks
Ian

79th Armoured Division was formed in 1942, so are you looking for marking for the 4/7th Dragoon Guards prior to that?

Rob

According to Wikapedia 4/7 DG actually joined 79 Armd Div in 1943.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th/7th_Royal_Dragoon_Guards

Rob

What I am trying to ascertain is;
Would a motorcycle attached to the 79th Armoured Brigade ever have displayed the Bulls Head as a formation sign?

In light of the 1942 instruction not to and the formation date of the 79th AB being 1942, is it at all possible that some bikes displayed it?

Here's hoping.

Ian

Ian Richards
What I am trying to ascertain is;
Would a motorcycle attached to the 79th Armoured Brigade ever have displayed the Bulls Head as a formation sign?

In light of the 1942 instruction not to and the formation date of the 79th AB being 1942, is it at all possible that some bikes displayed it?

Here's hoping.

Ian

Hi Ian, I think you are confusing Divisions with Brigades, there was no 79th Armoured Brigade, the 79th Armoured Division was made up of Brigades some of which had their own Brigade insignia's, in which case they would presumably put that on their vehicles.

I have not yet seen a wartime shot of motorcycle wearing the 79th bulls head but that doesn't prove anything.

Its your bike and putting it in the markings of a family member is a very fitting memorial, so do it if you want to.

Rob

Divisions ... Brigades ...
All very confusing ;-)
You'd think I'd know by now.

Yep, I'll do it.
I just want to get it as accurate as I can.

Regards
Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1