Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forward planning for Normandy 2014

After speaking to someone at the weekend about what to take to Normandy next year, I thought I'd post this question sooner rather than later.

He suggested taking a tin mug as most stops involve some sort of drinking (tea or otherwise...) and as I've never been to Normandy during the D-Day celebrations before, this sort of info could prove invaluable. Obviously, tin mugs are easy enough to get hold of but with some M20 spares being on the pricey side and funds being on the low side, I'd like any hints & tips on what spares to bring (so I can start looking/saving) as well as anything that might not be quite so obvious like the tin mug.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Forward planning for Normandy 2014

Hi Lee

When I travel on the bike I usually lay out everything I will need and then decide which half of it I have room to carry, and do without the rest

Its a bit like desert island discs, there is a luxury item that most of us can't do without, mine is a chair, I can't grovel on the floor for more than a week.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

( 'I can't grovel on the floor for more than a week.' )...

Sometimes you have to when your married... ...

If you are riding the bike Lee you'll have to pack all the basics to survive...My advice would be to start making lists...Also when buying anything look for a mixture of practicality and compactness...For example...In a small 21cm x5cm x5cm zip up bag I get a military 'clip together' KFS set, teaspoon, scissors, a sharp knife for cutting fish/meat etc., a serrated knife, a spatula, a wooden spoon, tin opener. lighters for my petrol cooker and a pack of 'sweeteners' for my coffee...
Everything was selected to fit that bag and I shortened the wooden spoons handle and cut down the stainless spatula in width and length to get those items in there...I hang my Kettle and mug on the outside of the panniers to conserve space and have a small No7 Army petrol cooker...Fuel for that comes out of the bike every few days to top up my 1 pint petrol bottle...

What you have to remember is you have two bags approx. 14"x 15"x 4", the bikes toolbox and the rear carrier to get everything you need on board...

I also use a 'large pack' or small/medium sized rucksack to supplement this...However, don't pack anything heavy in that or allow the total weight to be too much...It will get uncomfortable after you have covered a few miles...I put my camera, waterproofs (which you may need to get at ) map etc. in that bag...

Spares wise I don't take much...Just those things that are easily carried and might ruin your holiday if you don't have them...An inner tube and the tools to remove the wheels and tyre, A spare spark plug, a gearchange return spring (and the tools to fit it) light bulbs, a head gasket,a contact breaker set and a few of the tools to do basic maintenance tasks. Throttle, clutch and adv/rtd cables..The main thing (challenge) is to have the bike well prepared and set up with a few miles on it...In that case you probably won't need much at all, if anything.
In all my trips to Normandy I have never had a mechanical or electrical breakdown and personally believe thorough preparation is the key...I only like to get my spares and tools out to help others ideally...I think there is a huge list of 'spares for touring' in the technical section of the website...Take a look at that for some inspiration...but think in minimalist way!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Rob & Ian.

I admire those making the trip by bike and must confess to almost booking space on the ferry for the caravan as well! But, it seemed a bit excessive just for me so I've gone with putting the M20 in the back of my van along with a 'bed' for the week. I feel like the stereotypical soft southener...
Stowage isn't so much of an issue and I'd rather pack too much than not enough especially with this being my first D-Day trip. Plugs, tubes, cables, etc have been added to my list. No matter how obvious an item may be - bike, helmet - free to post it here.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Something comfortable in the footwear line when you're not on the bike and loafing about in the campsite...I always find space on the bike for an umbrella...sounds daft but can be very useful...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A good map is essential.

I used to carry Michelin 231, but mine is falling to bits now and its not up to date with the Bayeux bypass updates which are quite local to our campsite.

Ebay 131003567949

The other day I bought a copy of the latest Normandy coast map as the scale was slightly better than my original, not realising that it doesn't cover any of the coast to the left of our campsite So I don't recommend this one.

Ebay 111152659813

So I have just ordered Michelin 513 which was printed in 2008 and hopefully will have everything I need.

Ebay 300963729747

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for that Rob. I just ordered 513 also. The normal road maps are not detailed enough for the back lanes. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Maybe we ought to start a thread on which we could discuss the best mountings for a sat-nav on the BSA bars?

etu

What ever are you suggesting? We're men!! We don't need sat navs or maps and heaven forbid that we should ask someone the way. Better to just get lost and pretend that you wanted to take that route all along Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1