Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tappet setting sequence help

Hoping for some help, Im away at the moment and dont have acces to full internet, trying to set the tappets right, and dont know the sequence, the m20 is sounding a tad noisey and running rather low on power after a mate had a fiddle..thanks

Re: Tappet setting sequence help

Hi Kit..Turn the engine over until the inlet tappet has just closed (ie the tappet is JUST free to rotate)..Now set the exhaust tappet clearance. Then turn the engine over until the exhaust tappet has JUST taken up the tappet clearance (ie it becomes too tight to turn by hand)...Now set the inlet tappet clearance.
Standard settings are .010" inlet and .012" exhaust...I set mine to a 'snug' .008" on the inlet and a 'slack' .008" on the exhaust (and have done for years)...This will quieten things down a bit...
Check the tappet clearances after tightening up the locknuts and whichever clearance you use also check there is clearance between the exhaust valve lifter and the exhaust tappet head after you have finished..And don't let your mates 'fiddle' with your bike unless they know what they are doing...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian...yup I should know better than let strangers fiddle

Hi kit

Sent you a manual on e mail - but check the tech section of forum - you have an iphone i think ??
Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

For future reference.....

photo image_zps733652dc.jpg

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

Just did mine. Make sure your exhaust lifter is free of the lifter. That one was puzzling me.

Also, might want to give everything a torque while you're at it. The head and cylinder can shift a bit. Do this before setting the valves.

A 1/4" AF wrench is a good thing to hold the flat on the lifter base from spinning while you're locking the nuts.

Nieuwe pagina 1