Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advise needed: Length of rear mudguard stays.

I am building my WM20 from a pile of separately-sourced parts. Looking at my rear mudguard stays I have several of varying length. Can anyone give me the on-center length for the rear stays? And the total length for the lift handle loop? Some of mine came with a rigid ZM21 and don't look right at all!

Thanks,

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

tank panel

Anyone got a picture of the pre-war tank panel on an M 23 or M24 or M20. Not sure of the hole sizes for switches etc compared to the ones in an Indian tank he received?

Re: tank panel

Hi,
I found these, if it helps.
The first one should be M20 and the 2nd- M24.

Noam.
 photo BSAM20tankpanel_zps585f533b.jpg
 photo BSAM34GoldStarWD3036725BSAM24tankt_zpsc0f4062b.jpg

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Thank you, but i can't figure out what the bottom thingamejig is?

Douglas,

The bottom indicator is the oil pressure indicator. It is the same gadget that sits on the timing cover of an early M20. The holes for the swith and the ammeter should be 2". I don't know the hole size for the oil pressure indicator right now but it's substantially smaller in size.

The panel with the blanked off hole is not for M group bikes. The blanked off hole was used on the total loss V twin which of course doesn't have any oil pump and consequently no oil pressure. Before 1937 the hole whould be in a different position since a 2" Eureka oil pressure gauge was used instead of the oil pressure indicator.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Re: Advise needed: Length of rear mudguard stays.

Hi Jeff,I have at last picked up a set of rear stays.The vertical stays are
12" tip to tip,one end is flattened centrally (from both sides) for 1 1/2"
the other end from one side for 1".From what i can see here the long end has a
3/8 hole and the short end a 5/16 hole and are 11 3/8 centres.
The horizontal stays have a larger diameter piece let on the end for 2 1/4"
this end is slotted and flattened from both sides for 1".the other end is also flattened centrally for 1 1/2",this end has a 3/8"hole. the slotted end has a 3/8 hole,but the slot is 5/16". now the interesting bit one is 12 1/8" centres
and one 12 1/4",this has been discussed before and i cant remember why.
also the hole in the longer stay is 5/16"
I have lift handles and they vary in length ,so it may be better to get a knowm measurement elswhere.
The slotted stays have the slot to the rear to facilitate removing the mudguard tail.The stud on the nearside(drive) must get pretty crowded but i dont know the order of assembly (two stays,lift handle and chainguard)have i missed anything?
hope this helps
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Don't know how my message got mixed up in this mudguard query? I thought I started a new post. My apologies, and thanks Leon.

This might help - this is from the 1947 parts list. The M20 ones are 66-6891.
The WM20 ones to suit the panniers have the vertical bolt towards the outer end of course.

When I first got my M20 it had a plain stay on one side and the tail piece was slightly out of line and it turns out a plain stay from an A7, 66-6758 had found its way into the mix somewhere along the line.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

rick
Hi Jeff,I have at last picked up a set of rear stays.The vertical stays are
12" tip to tip,one end is flattened centrally (from both sides) for 1 1/2"
the other end from one side for 1".From what i can see here the long end has a
3/8 hole and the short end a 5/16 hole and are 11 3/8 centres.
The horizontal stays have a larger diameter piece let on the end for 2 1/4"
this end is slotted and flattened from both sides for 1".the other end is also flattened centrally for 1 1/2",this end has a 3/8"hole. the slotted end has a 3/8 hole,but the slot is 5/16". now the interesting bit one is 12 1/8" centres
and one 12 1/4",this has been discussed before and i cant remember why.
also the hole in the longer stay is 5/16"
I have lift handles and they vary in length ,so it may be better to get a knowm measurement elswhere.
The slotted stays have the slot to the rear to facilitate removing the mudguard tail.The stud on the nearside(drive) must get pretty crowded but i dont know the order of assembly (two stays,lift handle and chainguard)have i missed anything?
hope this helps
cheers Rick

Don't forget the clip for the prop stand also fits to this stud- and that has a thick heavy bracket that goes over the stud (about 3/16" thick?)

Jeff,

I have a tool I made to remake the stays. There are 2 sizes, one for the vertical, and another for the horizontal.

I prolly have a set in my parts bucket. If you need them, PM me OK?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb at British Tool
Jeff,

I have a tool I made to remake the stays. There are 2 sizes, one for the vertical, and another for the horizontal.

I prolly have a set in my parts bucket. If you need them, PM me OK?

I just used a hammer and a piece of railway rail I use as an anvil!
Is there a better way?

Nieuwe pagina 1