Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox settings

I still have problems setting up my gearbox. All NOS or nearly new parts, endplay of all shafts zero or nearly so, but the pawls don't engage like they should.
Number 4 seems ok:

1 photo 1_zps7e028d8e.jpg

But look at the others:
2 photo 2_zps9f6d8430.jpg

3 photo 3_zpsc103cad7.jpg

4 photo 4_zpsb748490c.jpg

5 photo 5_zps399e0750.jpg

I have played with the control rod, one half turn at a time in both directions but I am not happy with the results. Or am I too fuzzy....?

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Re: Gearbox settings

Still no reactions to my question so I tried again and again.
Here are some photos; I wonder if the pawls are in the correct position:
Is this the correct position for first gear?
1 photo Gearboxsetting1_zps5fe03aca.jpg

And for neutral?
n photo GearboxsettingN_zps7cb99f9f.jpg

And for third?
3 photo Gearboxsetting3_zpsed9a2df7.jpg

And finally for fourth:
4 photo Gearboxsetting4_zps3ab258e2.jpg

Second gear I could not find
I am particularly interested where at each gear setting, which pawls should engage where on the ratchet lever
(click on the picture to see also the right part; irritating that Photobucket trims the right side

Hi Hans,

The pawl for the first gear has to be in the first cut on the ratchet plate, counted from above.

And I think neutral has to be in the first cut also if you come from first gear but has to be in the second cut if you come from second gear.

So you will have to shorten the arm (gear control link)

If you try and look through the inspection hole you will see what happens, in neutral the dog clutches has to be in the middle between the gears. and when a gear is selected take care that the selector forks are free and not pushing/rubbing against the dog clutches as this will wear out both quickly as they then get hot under use.

If you still can't find all the gears there is also a possibility that the control quadrant inside the box is not correctly placed, but you can check that easily if you take off the gear control link and turn the (small) operating lever.

Good luck and post again if you need to. Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga [ at ] hotmail.com

Hi Hans

Sent 3 photos to you which someone was kind enough to help me with last year

Hope it helps

:-)

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks John and Michiel, I'm working on it!

John 'O'Brien
Hi Hans

Sent 3 photos to you which someone was kind enough to help me with last year

Hope it helps

:-)

John,

Would you mind posting those photos in this thread? I'm thinking my gearbox needs some adjustment too. Having those photos around in a thread like this sure would help.

Kevin

John
It would be really useful to see the photos you mentioned. could you please email them to me also, or even better post them on here. Setting up the gear selection seems to be a black art ! Thanks a lot.

Peter

email (option): petergsmith73@btinternet.com

me too..please please!!

email (option): petercomley@web.de

John, I have them already on Photobucket, if you wish I can put them on the forum!

Hi Hans

if you could place them there it would be great

Photobucket and I dont seem to be compatible when it comes to placing photos on here

I cannot remember the kind soul who saved me with these last year before my trip to France, I'm sure they wont mind this information being shared

Best Regards

Jo'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Everything ok now, thanks for all the sympathy and compassion you have shown. I am too ashamed to admit what really went wrong, so in my last will and testament will be a codicil that explains

No reason to be ashamed, Hans. We all make mistakes, and learn from them. That's the fun of working on these old piles!

Have a couple of beers and let us know.

Nieuwe pagina 1