Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how does the clutch sliding plate go again

feeling like an idiot because i cant remember, but where does the clutch sliding plate go in the sequence again? does it fit between the clutch hub and the chain case, or after the clutch hub? Forgive me I must have had 1 too many beers when i took it apart.

email (option): jeff.robbins75@gmail.com

Re: how does the clutch sliding plate go again

Here is a link to Draganfly.... See diagram that demonstrates the position of the slider.

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/component/hikashop/category/1066-bcm-group-plunger-a-rigid

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

I also have a question,
Do the sliding plate fixings need to be loosened when adjusting the primary chain?
I can't find any reference that says the should be loosened, and it seems to be a fairly loose slide in thee, no doubt a source of leaks?

The 2 bolts have a head design that means when all bolted up the slider can still slide unhindered.
You do not need to slacken them other than during disassembly/assembly/rebuilds .. in fact its very important they are kept tight as a lose one could contact the primary chain & cause damage while running.
I find as long as everything is in order & the large felt washer is doing its job you wont lose oil out of that area while parked & its quite a satisfactory design with centrifugal force doing a good job keeping the oil away while running.

Hi John,

I appreciate the diagram but it doesn't answer the question about the sliding plates position compared to the clutch hub. Does it go main shaft, then sliding plate, then clutch hub......or main shaft then clutch hub then sliding plate. Thanks for the help on this question.

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

The slider mounts inside the primary case, the primary case fits over the transmission mainshaft.

The clutch center mounts on the mainshaft now protruding through the slider/ primary case assembly.

The scroll on the clutch center is designed so as to rotate within the brass bushing mounted in the slider to prevent primary case oil from being lost; the rotating scroll directs the oil back into the primary case.

Hope this helps.

That was a huge help. One last question I have everything mounted but it seems that the sliding plate will rub up against the back of the clutch hub. Is this okay?

If it rubs, it's gonna wear a groove or track in the mating part.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Not knowing exactly where the contact is taking place, I offer the following: There should be a minimum amount of clearance between the clutch center and the sliding plate. Assuming that the slider and the clutch center are properly aligned, they should not touch.

Since the primary case is made of pressed sheet steel, it has some flexibility and may have become distorted during decades of service.

The primary case inner is secured to the engine by the three mounting bolts through the slotted holes in the case which allow for some vertical adjustments to case position for alignment of the primary case with the foot rest bar. The several spacers on the footrest assembly provide horizontal support of the primary case in relation to the clutch assembly.

Assuming there is no misalignment between the engine and transmission, and assuming the mounted slider is now centered in relation to the transmission shaft, I would look for distortion of the primary case inner.

I would make sure the footrest spacers are correct in length, as they will position the primary case and could hold the case against the clutch if incorrect.

Also, If you are seeing very minor contact between the slider & clutch, and you have a new felt seal in place between the primary case inner and the slider plate, you might want to look at reducing the thickness of the felt seal.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the help. It was great. I think it was a combination between distortion in the inner primary case and the thickness of the new felt seal

If you have distorted cases you must check the primary chain clears the sliding plates bolt heads.
fit the chain on the clutch drum then move the gearbox along its adjustment slots (in the mounting plates) to make sure the chain wont foul the bolt heads at any point of adjustment.

I've been wrestling with the clutch all morning. Just got the damn thing off. Whew!! I buggered up two extractors. I sure wish my extractors would have a longer bolt. I had to put something underneath the bolt so i could get the clutch off the transmission shaft, and I made a bad choice. Trashed my extractor and put a burr on the hole of the clutch shaft where the pushrod exits. I'll sort it out.

The interesting thing was that the sliding plate was loose, and that's why it was pissing oil. I'm glad I used transmission oil in my primary, that's how I knew it wasn't gearbox or engine oil.

Well, back to M20 saltmine for me!

Hope you all are having a good day.

Kevin

L.A.kevin
I've been wrestling with the clutch all morning. Just got the damn thing off. Whew!! I buggered up two extractors. I sure wish my extractors would have a longer bolt. I had to put something underneath the bolt so i could get the clutch off the transmission shaft, and I made a bad choice. Trashed my extractor and put a burr on the hole of the clutch shaft where the pushrod exits. I'll sort it out.

The interesting thing was that the sliding plate was loose, and that's why it was pissing oil. I'm glad I used transmission oil in my primary, that's how I knew it wasn't gearbox or engine oil.

Well, back to M20 saltmine for me!

Hope you all are having a good day.

Kevin

Glad you found your leakage and an easy solution
. I suppose many of us have the same extractor, and the same problem.

I use a small socket for the needed spacer. I forget the size, but it's from a qtr drive set; small enough external diameter to put a square shoulder against both the transmission shaft and the extractor, but large enough to remain roughly centered in the clutch hub and aligned with shaft and extractor bolt. Since it's a socket, the steel is tough enough to handle the job without damage.

Nieuwe pagina 1