Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L for sale

photo pic_showasp.jpg

I never thought I'd do this but my much loved 1941 G3L is up for offer as I have been offered some land nearby.A very rare occurance round here.

I make no bones about it, its not one for the rivet counters or contract number addicts.

Built up in 1971 from mostly new ex Wd parts; its got all the right bits, none of it is repro, brass levers, canvas grips, bags, not the weapons they've long gone.
period tyres, dunlop rear and michelin front
No two parts came off the same bikes,nor do any numbers match any list or contract.
That said its 10 times better than some of the grot I've in various places.

Its been to Arnhem twice, northern france several times, been featured in some mags as a perfect example which shows how much they know.

Snags, its been part dismantled to paint it, for the first time since 1971...all mechanics are 100% I will give assistance to any buyer nearby to sort it.

If I put it back together I'll change my mind.

you can see it in wiltshire, SN9 area, I will send more pics on request.

Ideally I would like in excess of 4k, yes I know its high, but theres a lot of memories involved with it.

frank opinions invited and respected.

hopelessly high Offers won't go amiss either

I also have an ex AFS Matchless,1961, 350 cc on offer, 100% mechanics, slightly nonstandard, but scruffy. 2250£

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Re: Matchless G3L for sale

ken buy the land as they say they are not making it anymore

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

land going through, just need to take the edge off it.

woodland and lake, if I leave the bike in the wood s for a year do you reckon it'll be worth more?

I can just see the ebay ad now..........abandoned by DR under air raid...fully patinated..... so much scope

Ken, didn't this appear years ago in one of the Classic monthlies in an article on austerity motorcycling ? Great article and I think I still have it somewhere......I also seem to recall a photo of this in that BMS booklet "The First Military Machine Scene"...?

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

That's the one Steve, both counts. photos of it also blagged for use at other times in the evil empire's magazines.

Does it add value? I doubt it. forgot to add its got a G3 frame as well.

It may not be catalogue but its a rare example of what one would look like after going through a field workshop.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Better than a fake welbike @ €5000. anyway.

It definitely has history Ken, and is a really nice example too....poured over the images in the mag for hours..........can still remember the quotes (I have a photographic memory - lol)....."paint came in jeep-size tins".......and forks from Russell's ("solid, but whacking 'em on a block freed them up and they've worked perfectly ever since" and the engine an army recon...?) And no, I haven't got a copy of the mag here either !..........didn't you also extol the virtues of riding the thing back from Holland stony-broke eeking out every scrap of fuel from the tank...? lol !!! Beautiful bike.........you must be at pains to part with this........

Blimey what a memory.

I might be able to find you a spare copy of that mag if you are that big a fan of it.

yes lot of memories with the bike.

I combined a Dutch rally with an attempt to blag work on the Bridge too Far set.

The set was too far so I spent the weekend on a campsite Laarg kanje or something like that, near the Landing grounds.
got totally pissed, more than I have ever been, on Dutch hospitality. rode home on the tank contents plus just enough change for a gallon of fuel.

The old girl plodded home at 30mph Arnhem to SE London in 12hrs must have done over a 100mpg but by god it was tedious.

Having cast bait upon the water and had no takers itll probably stay here now, going halves with aneighbour on the woodland so no panic.

Thanks Ken ! But a photographic memory does not seem to work with Mrs M who insists she told me to do something that I haven't got the foggiest about...??!? - lol......!!!!

It's a great G3L, and fond memories for me......I think I still have the mag somewhere over at the farm (I never throw anything away) but haven't seen it for years........

And I have similar experience of that evil Dutch hospitality.....!!! Fortunately, I did not have to be anywhere the following day...........

Nieuwe pagina 1