Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gear Pedal

I'm missing the gear pedal from my 1942 WM20.
I occasionally see post war m20 gear pedals on ebay that are chrome plated.
Besides it being chrome plated is their physically any other difference?

If its only the chrome thats the difference its easy enough to strip that off and just paint it as I don't like my chances of finding a WDm20 gear pedal without paying over the top for it.
Thanks

email (option): tmuir12@gmail.com

Re: Gear Pedal

Hi Tony..The gear lever up to 47 is the same as the WD one..When the change to the later version of the gearbox (with speedo drive, different outer cover etc.) was made the lever was completely different....

Pre war levers differ slightly as well for some models, though at first sight appear identical...So, you do need the correct one for the WD M20...

They do turn up and generally don't fetch 'silly' money..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

How do the pre war ones differ ? Are the ones with a patent number the earlier type? Good rivet counter stuff!

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

Hi Hamish...Viewed from above on the WD lever (post 38) the lever 'blade' itself is forged at an angle to the splined boss that fits to the gear change shaft, so points away from the fore/aft axis of the bike...
I think this was done to improve clearance of the timing cover when the M20 engine was widened as part of the 38 redesign...

Earlier levers viewed from above have the lever 'blade' at 90 degrees to the splined boss and running parallel to the fore/aft axis of the bike....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I did have a lever up for sale a while ago, I happened to take a picture of it showing the angle of offset, from memory I think it was approximately 10 degrees.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Damm I guess I will just keep looking.
If anyone has a spare gear leaver they are willing to part with let me know.

Tony, I have mailed you about a used correct lever.

Thanks got your email

Nieuwe pagina 1