Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy 2014, two questions

Age won't probably allow me to attend as I did on previous years . Therefore I will lend my WDM20 to a rider from overseas, preferably a Canadian (for sentimental reasons, in Amsterdam we were liberated by them) or American (they did the rest of the country). And provided always I will finish my rebuild in time .
And now the second question: is there any chance to be a passenger in a Big4 in Normandy? I promise I will behave...
Hans

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Re: Normandy 2014, two questions

Hans, I understand that your thread is in relation to lending a bike to someone from over the Atlantic (a jolly decent gesture !) but the US didn't really liberate 'the rest' of The Netherlands...Don't forget the British Army !

Hi Hans, even if my big4 were finished, which it probably won't be, I wouldn't be taking it so I can't help you I'm afraid.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Agreed, cracking offer Hans

Disappointing grasp of history.

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

So it's not just the Americans who try to airbrush us out of history, the countries we liberated try to do the same.

I know Hans is well aware of the British contribution...After all, unlike the rest of us, he was there at the time and saw it for himself.
I also know the last thing he would do is to try to 'airbrush' us out of the picture....
Personally I am more than happy to 'cut him some slack' for his unfortunate choice of words on this occasion...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Allied losses in the Netherlands between sept. 1944 and may 1945:
British 6.700
Canadian 4.100
American 1.135
Polish 630

Says enough I think.

Regards,
Peter
Netherlands

It was a joint effort by the allied nations.. not a status competition based on the numbers lost...
The 630 poles made the same sacrifice as the 6,700 Brits...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

You are all so right, my apologies...
I was side-tracked by my intention to offer the use of my bike to those who can't afford to ship their ride from Canada, the USA, and (before I forget other 1940-45 allies), the Aussies, Kiwi's, South Africans.
Those across the North Sea are only a short ferry/train trip away, and can bring their own bikes provided they are in riding condition...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Nieuwe pagina 1