Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dutch army Triumph engine ?

I did find an appropriate website to discuss it (http://www.triumph3ta.nl/)
but thought some here might be interested in a Tiger 90 engine I've just received.
When i unpacked it i noticed its primary cover & timing covers were rough unpolished & had some green paint on them so i delved a bit more & from the engine number 3TA H4929* (can't read my own writing on that last number) it shows as a 1967 Tiger 90 & looks quite likely to be Dutch Army engine.
maybe someone here has an interest in these , not sure what to do with it yet.

Re: Dutch army Triumph engine ?

3TA denotes a model 21; Tiger 90 should be T90 ****

does it have points set in timing cover or a distributor behind the barrel?

either way its a find, check out the prices fetched on ebay for genuine Triumph parts.

Of course you could always fit it into a WD B40 frame......

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Hi Ken, i had a distributor type engined Bathtub "21" years ago & reasonably familier with those older engines.
But the reason i said Tiger 90 is because its a 67, the civvy 3TA finished in 66 & T90 started from an earlier engine number than this engine, it is the very late spec sidepoints engine.
So "T90" best described the various details of engine spec of it.
It looks from what I've found online that they stamped just these military ones "3TA" for a some reason while the same engine in all the other models were being stamped T90.
I also read somewhere they were ordered with a wide ratio gearbox & stamped W. R. near the gear pointer which this does have.

It came with some Villiers parts & a T20 SH cub bottom end & odds & ends.
I could just put it all on eBay before I'm tempted to look for frames ETC because i know what I'm like !
:D

Probably some Meridan union dispute over who could use the number stamps that day

I had a lovely little Tiger 90, hi-level siamese pipes, gorgeous, sold it and was persuaded to take a CZ in part exchange, so thats two stupid things I did.

took the CZ to the local tip soon after.A vile thing.

The 350 unit motor ought to fetch enough to finance an M20 or other green painted folly?

one for sale here
http://www.dutch-lion-motorbikes.com/en/motorcycles

looks like a half and half economy build

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

I came over all unnecessary for a minute Fred. When you first said T90 engine.
I thought you meant the 500 single and you were looking for a home for it
Maybe you've got some forks? I dunno! I'm only asking!
Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank Ken, ive just had a look at that site, there's some lovely bikes on there isn't there.
Sorry Ron, i don't have any early Triumph parts.

Only joshing Fred. The last heavyweight Triumph girders I saw for sale, sold for two and half grand and that was some years ago Ron

I did have a set of Y13 forks with hub & mudguard that i sold on so its not unheard of for me to stumble across the odd rare part, the bike I'm trying to get hold of currently is a bit rare, but its a few countries away & heavily changed from what it should look like but i think its a BSA L28 Super Sports. : )

I just googled it up. One like this Fred? Ron

photo 47072_zpsedfdf51f.jpg

Yes, its a machine I've had a keen interest in for some time, that one pictured isn't a very good copy the proportions are a bit wrong & awkward looking, the wheels look too small & that engine is incorrect, the builder maybe thought the SS used the standard 1928 L28 engine whereas the "SS" i think had a different engine with pushrod tubes that converge toward the top rather than parallel like that.
i will see if i can post a pic..later.

The whole story of the Triumph 21/3TA is told on http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1239572&cmd=show
Have a look!

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Hans, thanks for that link, i am looking at that now.

Nieuwe pagina 1