Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
matchless g3l rear spindle thread??

hi,does any one know what thread is on the ends of a wartime g3l rear spindle ???

email (option): adriancrossan@tiscali.co.uk

Re: matchless g3l rear spindle thread??

7/16th cycle.

This is a 60 degree thread pitch, same as US National Fine.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Be that as it may Rob but theres no way a UNF nut will happily fit on a
7/16x 26 tpi thread on this side of the pond

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

It's a 60 degree thread angle..not pitch...for these threads.
The pitch for Cycle thread is 26tpi with 20tpi as an alternative for some applications.(often the case with wheel spindles)
UNF at 7/16" diameter also has a pitch of 20tpi and the 20tpi forms will probably fit together..
If the thread tooth forms are identical it should be possible to determine the class of fit between the two by careful measurement...However, this would be quite involved, so the 'workability' of the actual fit would most easily be assessed by simply putting them together to estimate the suitability by 'feel'.
None of this is really necessary though as the correct Cycle thread taps and dies are both readily available for use in the remanufacture/clean up of parts..or the threads could be cut on a lathe...
I'm not familiar with the G3L so can't answer the original question unfortunately...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

ken
Be that as it may Rob but theres no way a UNF nut will happily fit on a
7/16x 26 tpi thread on this side of the pond

BSC has 7/16-20 and 1/2-20 which are identical to the US National Fine.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Rob has a good point, the larger the spindle the more likely to use the 20 tpi. But in this case I'm sure its 26 tpi. They did go to a 1/2 inch axle in '50 but I've never had one in my hand to see what thread.

I often use 7/16" and 1/2" NF taps and dies to clean up 20TPI cycle threads.....It saves having two sets T&D's in those sizes.
I also often use a metric adjustable spanner to save buying an expensive BSF adjustable spanner Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron...I used the same trick myself...I just have the one Imperial lump hammer.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

15mm and 18mm spanners fit whitworth and bsf sizes.I forget which?

Nieuwe pagina 1