Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox again

Does anybody know the purpose of that inscribed line on the ratchet lever?

Ratchet lever photo Ratchetlever2_zpsc4754cce.jpg

I have two with the line like the right one ! (click on the pic to get the right part too)

And still no info about the small pegs on the control shaft...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Re: Gearbox again

Hi Hans,

The line is to help inserting the bush in the right way so that the gear indicator on the outside of the box is in the right position and corresponds with the gear your are actually in.

Don't know why there are two versions maybe there are two different positions of the pointer in the gearboxshell or two versions of the indicatorplate ??

Regards, Michiel

I have 2 versions, one has the line as per M20 & it corresponds with the direction of the 2 flats for lining up when pressing together as has been said.
my other type has the scribed line almost at right angle to the M20 one (about 80°) & that is for the late V Twin box which shares many components but is mounted almost vertical hence the differnt pointer position.
However i can't see why the one in the left picture has a pointer mark in that position unless some gear indicator plates also had flats in a different position?

Thanks guys, that problem solved
Both register correctly with the indicator plates.

When fitted to v twins the boxes were 'stood on end'...this alters the relative position of the gear indicator to the gearbox itself and requires a different alignment...Interestingly there is also a kickstart quadrant identical to the M20 one apart from the angle of the cotter pin groove....same reason...Like Fred I can't think of the application for the one on the left in the photo...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just a thought : The extra 'land' on the shell in front of the point must have had a function at some time.

photo SAM_6147_zps67b5e5c6.jpg

It looks like it was used to stamp the gearnumbers and in that case the round indicator plate would have to be a pointer. Anyone seen such a construction? The very first ones?? Maybe it could explain the left ratchet plate.

Regards, Michiel

The "extra land" is likely because when that gear Cover was designed it was very likely planned to replace the old style ones on the Y 13 & G14 & the "pin" would be at the other end of that "extra land" the models were discontinued & stayed with the old covers to use up stock ... i think anyway.
Ian, yes when i said almost vertical, i was referring to the gearbox as in "stood on end" & yes mine have the kickstart quadrant with the different cotter angle which appears is on a fair few hand change models gearboxes before the boxes were "laid flat" for later models.

Cycle Fred
The "extra land" is likely because when that gear Cover was designed it was very likely planned to replace the old style ones on the Y 13 & G14 & the "pin" would be at the other end of that "extra land" the models were discontinued & stayed with the old covers to use up stock ... i think anyway.

??? I think this is not what I am looking for..
It's about the pegs in the gear control shaft; I have an NOS one with small pegs, 7.1mm (9/32"), while the 'normal' ones measure 10.5mm (13/32"). Were the small pegs a later, or an earlier issue?

Sorry.... i was referring to what Michiel said in the post before mine.

Hi Hans, the subject was still on the ratchet plates where you started your post with, just some thinking of what could be an explanation for the left version of the ratchet in your picture.

About the pegs you could try and use the search function as I remember it has been discussed here before.

Regards, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1