Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is this enough to rebuild?

OK, I have a complete frame in good shape. The front needs a seat lug. Motor and trans (need rebuilding), complete front end, both wheels complete with brakes.

Needs: Petrol tank, oil tank, battery carrier, seat, headlight, all fenders and chainguards. Clutch is missing. Lots of miscellany and trinkets are missing.

Would you rebuild it? Why or why not?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Re: Is this enough to rebuild?

I have started a rebuild with a lot less, but parts were cheaper back then.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Big question in my opinion is does the frame have any papers? Up here it's a real pain to register, and prove it is actually a motorcycle without the documents or a complete motorcycle to start.
But like Henk, I've started with less..

I've done a few just starting with the first part I bought...
The latest is the sprinter, but I can't actually remember now what the first part was...Probably a crank or something from my own stock of parts...

You can build from nothing if you have the determination and time,but these days you do have to shop around for good prices to avoid a ridiculous bill at the end of the day....

It's not the easiest way to do it...However, it suits if you don't have a lot of ready cash, as you can spread the cost and there is a strange pleasure in pulling all those unused parts together into a complete working bike..

Doing something the hard way can be frustrating at times but if you succeed you have the satisfaction of having taken on and completed a greater challenge.......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Piece of cake Robb!

Are you intending to rebuild yourself or sell it on ? If the numbers don't match then you may well be able to assist the completion of quite a number of projects by dismantling it. It's obviously less work though to sell it in one go.

Are they early or late parts ? Are they from an unusual and/or small contract? Is there perchance a wartime photograph showing the same bike or one very close? Those are the sort of things which would affect my judgment.

Be good if it was rebuilt one more on the road,lots of bikes that are almost in one piece are broken up for parts to sell on Ebay these days such a waste although In suppose the parts do go to other restorations

Robb,

You are now the proud owner of a fleet of WMs, more than enough to keep you busy, and broke, for years to come....perhaps it is the best course of action to sell off the "partial" bike in bits to help other restorers with their mounts, and use the resulting cash for covering your costs on the other machines...

( and, I well understand that one can never possess enough mc projects)

Just a thought.

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

At my local VMC one member started off with just a fuel cap and built the rest of the bike around that.
How much time and money do you have???

email (option): tmuir12@gmail.com

Robb
I stated with a gearbox shell, three years ago. I now have 95% of the parts, swap meets, fleabay some shops and a few people on the forum have helped with parts( thank you). It would have been cheaper to buy a much more complete bike like yours. I know I am a dickhead but I wanted to learn about the bike. I now have another 4 pre-war Bezza's in varying stages of restoration. It will be a long haul, but I think it is worth saving.
Matching engine and frame numbers don't matter, most wm20's don't.
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Hi Guys,

When I bought the "Florida" lot of 4 and 1/2 bikes one of the main purposes was to keep them out of the hands of the butchers who would part them out.
There are many here on Forum to whom I owe a debt of gratitude and money for this. Debt weighs heavilly on my mind for this as I want to repay my friends asap.

As it turns out, a usable front fender is on its way, also a petrol tank and a decent rebuildable magdyno. I did find a rear fender in my parts lot that I did not account for. I do need the rear clip for it though.

I'd rather sell the lot to someone here on forum who wants to do a bike. Every so often someone posts they want one. After all, I do have three others to build as one is already spoken for.

As for starting from scratch, I love these stories. I'm doing a 41 G3L that started from scratch myself. And, it is almost finished.

Anyone out there want a very good start on a project?

Cheers all,

Robb

Rob, have you photographed all the engine and frame numbers and sent them to Henk ? It may be that there is a factory re-match to be made somewhere in the world.

As a rivet-counter, I'd also suggest trying to match the engines and frames up within original contracts as it makes it much easier to decide on specification.

Although 'matching' numbers might not matter on a WD bike (if you want to use a rebuild census number), in my opinion it also means that it doesn't matter if they become mixed up further. Hard as it may seem, we all need bikes to be broken for spares, just like they were through the 1950s, '60s and '70s. There just aren't enough genuine parts to put all the engines and frames on the road.

I too dislike the idea of dismantling complete machines but am not too troubled by the odd basket case going its separate ways.

As I'm not a BSA man, I have no personal interest in this...

Re: Is this enough to rebuild? YES, it is!!

For giggles,I began bolting the "parts" bike together. With what I have on the shelf, and what came in a swap (Thanks Jeff!!) and another trade (thanks Vince) I have a pretty complete bike.

I only need front and rear stands, an outer primary cover, a bunch of bolts, seat springs and posts (I can make the posts), that little ring thing tranny adjuster and the primary chaincase spacers. None of these is a show stopper.

The frame bolted up easilly, and measuring it comfirmed it is straight and true.

Not bad for a day of fun!

So....... there will be another on on the road!!

OH..... I need a clutch, but will be adapting a Honda clutch like I did for my 41 G3L. (Cheap, cheerful, and dead on reliable). Also runs wet.

Hey Robb,

That Honda clutch sounds very intriguing. If you are going to be doing up one, consider doing up another. I'd be interested in buying it.

Kevin

My own 48 A7 came to me as a partial basket case- but included a NOS rigid frame. Reportedly the bike was torn apart by the dealer/distributor.
from new to supply parts for other bikes.I sold the 47 tank it came with when I found a proper 48 tank, the busted up used engine cases were replaced by a better set (only 100 numbers off from the original frame), plunger oil tank replaced by a rigid type, etc. Over the last 27 years I've accumulated pretty much everything to build it up complete. Only missing the original upper chain guard. And I have a good supply of early A7 spares. Point being, with enough time, patience and cash you can build anything. Just don't be tempted to stop half way when you end up with a "Badass bar hopper" !!

Will do Kevin! But first I have to make it work. On the 41 G3L all it took was a little Autocad drawing, some wire burn and a custom made nut. I never altered an original part.

However, the M20 clutch will be a bit different. I may use a Matchy sprocket,
and revamp the oil seal apparatus on the M20 inner chaincase.

That would make it a lot easier than trying to adapt BSA stuff.

Nieuwe pagina 1