Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
checking oil return flow WM20 before first start?

Hey Folks,

I'm almost ready to start the old 44 WM20 up. I filled the oil tank this weekend and gave it a few kicks. The oil return is not as easy to see as other british bikes I've had. Where does the oil return come back? Should it be a visible spurt inside the oil tank when kicking the bike? I'm not currently seeing any spurting, just a bit of bubbling. Should I just remove the return line and connect it externally and run it back to the oil filler so I can visually check for return?

Any general tips?

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: checking oil return flow WM20 before first start?

Hi Kevin..The oil return pipe comes up inside the oiltank filter (assuming you have one)..On top of the filter is a sprung loaded cap that is held in place by the oiltank lid when it is closed...
If you remove this cap you will see the oil return pipe inside the filter....

If you don't have the filter you can see the pipe clearly when you look into the oiltank....
The upper end of the pipe is blanked off but it has a 'cross drilling' through the side.

Remove the spark plug and start kicking..it may take 50-80 (or so) kicks before the oil returns to the tank if you are starting with a 'dry' rebuilt engine...
When it does you will see it coming out of the hole in the pipe...Not a spectacular spurt of oil but you will see it...
To be honest it is easier to see without the filter in place, so you should consider removing that temporarily while you check it all out....
Once you have something returning to the tank put the plug back in and start the motor...You may get a spurt of oil initially if any has gathered in the crankcase, but this will turn into a 'spit and bubble' return as soon as the oilpump has scavenged the crankcase...

Being a 'dry sump' engine the return side of the pump has a greater capacity than the feed side so it will empty the crankcase at some point and that's when you get the intermittent return.......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Hi Kevin..The oil return pipe comes up inside the oiltank filter (assuming you have one)..On top of the filter is a sprung loaded cap that is held in place by the oiltank lid when it is closed...
If you remove this cap you will see the oil return pipe inside the filter....

If you don't have the filter you can see the pipe clearly when you look into the oiltank....
The upper end of the pipe is blanked off but it has a 'cross drilling' through the side.

.Ian

As always, Ian, thanks for your generosity in sharing information and your time. About how far down is that cross drilling in that oil return pipe? I have the oil tank filled with 5 pints (approx 3 US quarts) and perhaps the level might be obscuring the return hole? Is the hole half way down the pipe, 3/4 up the pipe?

Thanks,

Kevin

That side hole is near the top.
I always fill up the return pipe to the union with a clean squirty oil can (of correct oil) so it seriously reduces all that kickstart use. much better because it primes the return oil pump gears & you get oil appearing very quickly.
obviously i watch it long enough to make sure its not just the oil i squirted in : D

Cycle Fred
That side hole is near the top.
I always fill up the return pipe to the union with a clean squirty oil can (of correct oil) so it seriously reduces all that kickstart use. much better because it primes the return oil pump gears & you get oil appearing very quickly.
obviously i watch it long enough to make sure its not just the oil i squirted in : D

Great! I appreciate the help, Fred and Ian.

Nieuwe pagina 1