Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
feeling a bit flush?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1942-MkII-Excelsior-Welbike-british-airborne-forces-WWII-paratroopers-bike-jeep-/221268350615?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item33849f1697

Re: feeling a bit flush?

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

What a waste of money. this thing needs painting bright yellow then just dress up in your clown gear and away you go honk! honk!

well, you could always paint a Brockhouse Corgi nato green and show it as a paratrooper bike instead.........

Funny you should say that Ken there was two Corgis in a local auction recently and a couple of clowns thought they were para bikes and bid them up to a stupid price. Honk! Honk!

I can't count the number I've seen eitehr on sale soemwhere as para bikes, or painted green at shows, even shows where they should have known better.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Say what you like about it, only an hour to go and it's actually had a bid!! It's on £6000!!!!!!!!!

There were two unrestored Welbikes for sale at Oosterbeek last year and I seem to remember the cheapest one was 6.5k. And someone told me another unrestored example had changed hands for 8 recently.

Maybe this one is cheap.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Just goes to show there isn't really a recession...or perhaps the Welbike, dare I say it, might in reality be a teensee weensee bit overvalued?..say 600%-800% or so.... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi,it made £6601.00

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

It shows, Welbikes are worth more then the common M20!

Biggest concentration is in Holland, and most end up here, just missed one for 1200 quid, so they are out there cheap.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

I don't know much about Welbikes, but am I right in saying that you can't actually use a Welbike legally on the road in the UK? and even if you could they don't handle very well, don't go very fast and you have to weigh less than 14 ounces to be able to use one? If this is all true, £6601 seems quite expensive to me?

Well having owned a lot of them, and still have a couple, all I can say they are very usable!

And legal on the road in Holland, once you get it registered, wich is not very difficult, if it is original, as some people with fakes try to pass them off for real, and spoil it for the others.

A Rolex costs more, and has no wheels!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

....That's 'cause you're first and foremost a motorcyclist, Bill. These things are beloved by re-enactors and Airborne Groupies everywhere. Most' of 'em would be scared to ride something putting out the full 14 bhp !

No front brake means definitely not road-legal in the UK.

If you dropped a Welbike and a Corgi out of a Dakota at 15,000 ft., which one would hit the ground first ...?

....Oh, who gives a damn anyway ???

I suppose I'm not looking at the historic aspect of them, no matter if they were any good at the time or not, they were much better than walking. If I had the money, I'd rather spend £6000 on something I could use. Also, it wouldn't matter how right my uniform was or how much money I spent restoring a Welbike, I know I'd still look damn silly sat on one! A pumpkin on a Pea!!

What they COST isn't really in dispute...If you want one it'll cost you £6000 or thereabouts....

What they are WORTH is a whole different argument...

If you are a motorcyclist, not very much, and the reasons for that are obvious...Their physical size and capabilities were... erm..compromised...by the design requirements and for the same money or less you can buy a lot of eminently superior machines for riding on....

In fact, the Welbike has become primarily a piece of collectable militaria and its 'value/cost' as a potential motorcycle has become completely detached, and dwarfed by, its value as a collectors item...

As I basically want something to ride I think it's all a bit comical as I see the prices rise to such stratospheric levels....I try to stay calm though as it's not really a motorcycle in my book...More of an historical anomoly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, I think that you're right and they need to be viewed more in the same way as a PIAT or a Messerschmidt instrument panel, with the advantage that they don't require a firearms certificate and they're not radioactive. For some reason they've become iconic.

The only thing that worries me about your well set out arguments regarding the Welbike is that they sound just like what modern bike riders would say about any of our old 'heavyweights'

As a proud Welbike owner I suspect that deep down you are all just jealous.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Just don't mention welbikes to my Son Paul, some years ago (25 I think) I would not let him spend £95 on two, they were being sold with drop canisters on a stall at a Portsmouth D Day show,this week its all he's gone on about, Nag, Nag,

Look on the bright side Colin, you and your son may have lost out on making some money, but at least you can be proud that you've never owned a Welbike!

I just said that to Paul, wont put down what he said, but at least when he was a kid I let him spend his pocket money on a Para bike, £30 I think he paid in a junk shop in Ashburton,and he's still got it, so its not all bad

I remember turning down a Vincent Comet years ago for £110, why would I pay that money for half a Black Shadow?? Now look at the prices of them!?! I also passed up on a WW1 period Belgian FN for £240, silly money at the time. Perhaps this isn't a good road to be going down?

good road?

BSA Gold Star DBD500 with factory recon engine £120

Immaculate Vincent Black Prince £125.

1959 Cadillac elDorado convertable, ex Shepperton studios Diana Dors use of, £120

Pre war MG same price.

so many others, even worse is the list the ones I sold and wish I never had and the present day values are the least part of the regret.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

I remember not so long ago when someone paid well over a million pounds for a painting of sun flowers by Van Gogh, which looks like something my eight year old Grandson could have painted. You can't do much with that 'sept look at it. I expect the owner likes looking at it though. Wonder what it's worth now

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1