Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carburettor Supply to OZ

Could I ask for assistance from UK based forum members? Are Burlen Fuel Systems in Salisbury, Wiltshire, still trading normally? I ordered a new Amal monobloc carb for my post-war M20 from them back in May, but not dispatched yet due parts shortages apparently. They debited my card real quick however.
My monthly email enquiries bring various reasons why; however, their latest response is silence, so I'm kinda apprehensive.....
I'll try a phone call to them very soon.
Any help appreciated! Thanks. Mike.

email (option): hazmic1117@bigond.com

Re: Carburettor Supply to OZ

I live near Salisbury so could make enquires for you if you want?

I have found them ok to deal with, but they are somewhat odd in the way they do business, not dishonest, but odd.

You have to remember that motorcycle carbs are a very small part of their business, probably a minute part, and stuff is made in batches as they get enough call.

I know from my own trade experience that nagging motorcyclists [ no offence meant, but can think of no other way to put it] can be sidelined at times dueto other pressures.

PM me details and I will be in Salisbury in the next couple weeks unless you get someone nearer and quicker to offer.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

I ordered one in May for someone in Oz they wanted to pick it up on their way to the TT I paid for it at the time as they said they were waiting on parts, as the deadline for picking it up came I rang them, they said that they had the parts and it would take them two weeks to assemble one for me which would have taken it over the deadline, so I moaned that it wouldn't take them two weeks to assemble one, even if they weren't ready to assemble a whole batch of them and I reminded them of the deadline and that I'd already paid for it, it arrived two days later along with another payment taken from my card!! They refunded the payment, but as you say, they are very odd to do business with. Coincidentally if anyone is looking for concentrics, I can recommend the Wassels carbs, I've fitted a few of these and every one worked first time with no complaints and they are a lot cheaper and have a few extra features that aren't on the Amal ones.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks guys for your help.
Ken; I will PM you later. At work now.
Thanks.
Mike

email (option): hazmic1117@bigpond.com

Burlen Fuels aren't 'odd'..they're crap...
Wassell went into the manufcture of the MK1 Concentric because of Burlens frequent quality control problems and their failure to meet delivery deadlines...

If Wassells, as a major 'trade' consumer, can't get a good service what chance has a single 'punter' got?..

The Wassell Concentrics work well and are a lot cheaper...They have also (unsurprisingly) sold well and Wassells are now looking at putting the Monobloc into production....

A friend and I needed a MK2 Concentric each for 'projects' we are working on...Burlen couldn't supply because they were having problems with the (Chinese) castings for the MK2 bodies..
They advised us to buy second hand units and refurbish them using Burlen spares!!....

If the carbs are only a small part of a larger business then they should have the resources to correct these problems but this has been ongoing for some time so it seems perhaps they don't have the expertise or the will to do it...

I notice of late they are advertising more heavily in response to the impact of Wassells entry into the market...Not much help though if you can't buy a carb off them.... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I ordered few items from "Burlen" 2 years ago.
After 6 month passed without receiving anything, I wrote to them.

Apparently, there was a washer or something missing, so instead of supplying all but the missing part,
they just stuck it all in some forgotten shelf...

it took few angry mails from my side to make them supply what they do have and which I paid for so long ago.

About 1-2 month ago I ordered aluminium "Amal" inline fuel filter, paid, but only got a nice confirmation. no parts...

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I've only had a couple of dealings with them, in both cases (first a 276 carb, second a few small odds and sods) delivery within a week to NZ.
A mate nearby did have to wait a couple of months for a monobloc late last year though.
iain

If anyone has outstanding orders with Burlen, PM me, I would be happy to take details and see whats going on there, I'll make no promises but face to face is sometimes better than email.

But as said, its an odd firm to deal with.Very peculiar in some aspects.

I can't say Wassells stuff would inspire me with confidence, having had dealing with their stuff in the past, very variable quality.

Where are you Noam?

people overseas that have paid by Visa should look into 'chargeback', which is valid for up to 6 months from any purchase, failure to deliver paid for goods is high on the list, and too much complaint in that area could result in the offenders card payments facility being cancelled.

It will even work if you use paypal backed up by visa

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Thanks Ken,

I live in Israel.

The last update from "Burlen" regarding my order was at Jul 15,
More then a month ago, and it declared that

"The status for you order # 200001761 has been updated to
Being processed."

It was only 2 or 3 small filters...LOL...

I sent to you the full mail from them.
Thanks !!

Noam.

Some interesting comments there, fellers! Thank You.
I just got off the phone to Burlen in UK from here in OZ...9pm here. That was an experience! And I thought that Aussies can be pretty relaxed. Hah.
How can you stay in business with such an offhand attitude? The one I'm in as an employee (Aviation), we'd be dead in the water within a week with an attitude like that.
"We'll put your carb to the top of the queque. Should be ready in 2 weeks". Aaargh. They took my money PDQ back in May. "Oh, the computer does that, we do get some complaints". Aargh again.
Alright, I'm not busting my britches for the carb as the old bike stills runs O.K. but what the hell?
I'll give 'em 2 weeks & try again. Time for a calming alcohol.....
Mike

I have an update from "Burlen":

I ordered (and paid) for 4 in-line filter on the 13/07/2013, which is one and a half month ago.
The status in The "Burlen" site is still "Being processed".

I wrote a letter to "Burlen" and asked about the order, and got a reply:

"Dear sir,

Please accept my apologies for the delay with your order. All the parts are now in stock to make the filter & this should be in stock within the next 2-3 weeks. As soon as this is in we will despatch your order ASAP.

Kind regards

Customer Services Advisor"
(I crossed the name..)

So if all is in stock now, why it should be in stock in the next 2-3 weeks?..
But anyway, after waiting for 6 weeks so far, in ADDITIONAL 2-3 weeks I might actually be the proud owner of few small filters...

Amal Filter photo Filter_zps85d7e1e7.png
I feel like I ordered a custom " Maybach "..

I have used Burlen on a number of occasions & on all have been able to supply within days - their postal charges are high however about which I complained

More recently I was looking for 2 mk1 concentric bodies I wanted for my 72 Daytona, they couldn't/ wouldn't supply so I obtained wassel bodies

The trumpet runs as sweet as a nut now, wassells can't be all that bad

My experience anyhow

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1