Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vokes felt pad

Spending a few hours researching seat covers I noticed a brief remark regarding someone making felt pads for the Vokes filter. Think I can find it again?!

I am now writing every lead I come across for future reference. In the mean time, does anyone recall who is making them?

Much appreciated,
Wade

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: Vokes felt pad

Do you mean the canvas bollock protector? If so? It's Frank Brown. Ron

photo M20032_zps66e64fcb.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,
No, I have ordered a protector from Frank. It is my understanding that there is a felt pad that goes between the petrol tank and the bottom of the Vokes filter. Right?
Wade

No Wade. I think there should be air flow under the filter. There are three rubber grommets/feet. You should have 'U' shaped cut-outs in the metal legs for the grommets to fit into. I found something suitable at this firm.
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/
Ron

Ron, I don't know if it was a local variation but I recently bought a NOS Vokes here in Australia that had felt pads fitted to those 'U' shaped cutouts.
I had not seen this mentioned before wasn't sure if they were original or not.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

NOS? Lucky find! Thanks very much Ron and Ray, I get it now.
Wade

Well there was a rubber shortage and that material was replaced in a number of other applications....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well done Ray. That looks original and I've never seen them before. Ron

No rubber shortage I think, but all Aussie Vokes had the felt pads, also a different contract number on the brass plate, this has been mentioned before somewhere, with pictures etc.

I have a N.O.S. one from Australia too:

The casting for the elbows is very much underway too, should have some good results in a month or two, all cast in the original material, with no shrinkage etc. and the center piece too!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

Hi Lex,

The Vokes filter that I got from Australia in 2004 has rubber feet, it's not NOS though. My friend in Perth gave it me. He told me that there was a breakers that has a few box's of them one on top of the other and they just ended rotting away He made mine up out of two, it's a bit rough though.
Serial no 13895 - 5585
Model no D.7226

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Dave,

Interesting, are the rubbers solid, or with a hole?

My filter has Serial number 13895 - 7400 also same model no. but then my second one has that model number too, but came from a breakers yard here in Holland, and has Serial no. 11376

From that previous posting, that I can't find now, there were more Aussie Vokes filters with the double number, all starting with 13895.

Is there any parts left there? need a couple of the spring clips that hold the felt in place, but they go rusty very quick!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

Hi Lex,

The rubbers are solid. Sorry I wouldn't have thought that they were any parts left. It was my friend that got them, don't know how many. It was quite a while ago. The filter I got, also had some clips broke. Lex I have tried to email you some photos, but I don't know if it worked

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

The pads are a Norton-coded item, although the material from which manufactured isn't detailed........

Part number MT12/NC/10769.........."Pad, Mounting"......"Qty 3".........

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

I bought my original filter from Stuart Bray when we were both a lot younger. He had two for sale that had been strapped to stationary engines in Australia. Mine was missing its feet but had the brass label attached. Model D7226 with serial number 31808. Terry Roberts made the feet for me. Copied from an original rotted filter that his friend had found in a pond. Ron

Hey Ron. I have one of those without the feet. Also from Australia with its original felt tubing in pink colour!

'Bollock Protector?' is that how it's described in the parts manual Ron??

Nieuwe pagina 1