Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton toolbox schoolbag lock

Bought the toolbox below, incorporating a schoolbag type lock. Where can I find such a lock?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Norton toolbox schoolbag lock

Try Terry Roberts at "Metal Magic" in the UK......

I seem to recall a while back that he had found a source for these locks.....??

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Thank you for that Steve, will try to contact him.
Was pretty sure that this has been discussed in the past but can't find the thread ...

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Ah Kostas,

I am curious about the result.
I also need to find a lock.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

I will phone Terry tomorrow.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It's worth bearing in mind that there are at least two types of lock for the Norton bottom-hinged toolbox doors (the earlier top-hinged type are different again).

The WD bikes have what is referred to as the 'economy' lock. It is cadmium plated and has an old fashioned looking key with a separate button to release the catch.

The civilian type was chrome-plated and had the key in the centre of the sliding button, much like a pre-war suitcase lock.

I'm not sure how the various types differ in fixings. I'd suspect that it will be difficult to find other than a generic lock that looks similar.

Kostas/Rob I just spoke to Terry. Kostas it seems he might have deleted your mail because he gets lots of junk mail from a firm called Kosco and hit the delete without checking properly.
He only acquires these locks by buying up old luggage at boot sales. He only has a few different ones in stock and will send me pictures.......If he ever remembers.......and if he can work his camera?? Ron

Hello Ron

It's a key I need, the lock is the push button release type (1940). Any idea where I could find one?

Regards Jon

I don't know Jon. I usually give such things to my mate Graham the locksmith and give him nothing but bread and water till he sorts it out
He might read this and respond. Ron

Hi Jon, as per Rons post , If you send the lock or box to Ron's I can cut a key to the lock . Then post it back to you.
Thanks Grahame the locksmith

email (option): ghaskell@hotmail.co.uk

From memory, it was the world's most simplest key.........

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

The locks are not numbered so presumably they were all the same ? If so and a key is made then I'd like one the same, please !

Thanks Grahame, (and Ron)

That sounds like a plan. Looks like the Hasp is screwed on. I may be able to unscrew it if I'm careful. Who knows what NOS parts may be contained inside??

Regards - Jon

Nieuwe pagina 1