Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WNG canvas seat covers?

Is there any evidence that WNG's were ever fitted with canvas seat covers? As I have a saddle and pillion to cover, I would consider them being done in canvas if they were actually supplied in late 43/early 44.
Thanks, Wade

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: WNG canvas seat covers?

Wade this subject has been discussed in the past. The consensus is that no canvas seats were ever fitted at the factories. But 'WRIGHTS' made a canvas covered saddle as a gun layers seat for an armoured vehicle. It is quite possible that some might have found their way onto motorcycles. Especially in the hot desert sun? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,
Thanks for replying. I don't like to ask questions when there are archives to consult. Trouble is the archives no longer hold these prior links on this or other topics. If they did, new members wouldn't be asking the same boring questions.
Wade

I prefer the canvas ones, no sweating bums in hot weather...
I got mine from Chris Coxon (I think... )

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Chris appears to be the man. Do you still have his contact info?

This is the website part with info about canvas saddle covers: http://www.birminghamtoberlin.com/id9.html
Good luck

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Thanks a million Hans

I can see why canvas covers would have been used and I think they look terrific, but is there actually any photographic evidence for the use of canvas seats? I know it's probably difficult to tell on some period photos, but non the less, has anyone got any images showing its use?

Here's the evidence Bill With some artistic licence of course
I just wanted something different. Ron

photo collection040_zps04cf98b8.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi all,

If anyone is interested, I have a little over a square meter of the actual material used to make the OD canvas seat covers. Chris got the material from me from which his covers were made. Email me if anyone is interested in material.

BeSt regArds,

Eric

email (option): BSAWM20@gmail.com

No photographic (or documentary) evidence to date Bill as far as I'm aware...

This was discussed extensively a while back and the conclusion was they were never officially fitted but may, or may not, have been unofficially fitted...I think there is general agreement they look nice..

However, I think it's fair to say that, at the moment, fitting one can only come under the heading of 'making it up as you go along, with some artistic license'.....

Until that elusive photo turns up of course...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Evidence or not, there's no two ways about it, canvas saddle covers do look very smart!

Canvas seat covers will also ensure you get a wetter arse than the rexine type.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

I asked if they still were doing the covers and they told me they had stopped. That was about 4 months ago.

Lace doily round the filler cap would add that finishing touch. Bakelite "Winnie" mascot on the front mudguard? Moquette side stand muff? Exhaust muffler cosy? Come on you lot. Wot ARE you like?

Have had 0 luck raising Chris Coxon or any one else on their web site. It appears to be very stale.

Need those canvas covers, so how to get a hold of Chris to confirm if he can supply?

Wade

I've known Chris C for nearly 30 years but no contact in recent years......

I wonder if he made it out of Birmingham for Berlin.....? :o)

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1