Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
making sure I am not missing any other gearbox parts

Last question i promise for today. :) Refitting my bearing and top gear into the gearbox, I noticed on some diagrams that their is an extra main shaft felt seal (part# 24-4232) that goes in between the last metal oil retaining washer and the gearbox shell. However my gearbox didn't have that. It goes top gear, retaining washer, bearing, washer then shell. Am i correct or is it missing the seal before the shell on the inside? Thanks again.

email (option): jeff.robbins75@gmail.com

Re: making sure I am not missing any other gearbox parts

Jeff I don't recall a felt seal? You should have an oil retaining shim each side of the bearing. The raised part of these is placed towards the ball race. However it's generally accepted that they don't work very well and you will always have an oil leak. You can save yourself a lot of trouble at this stage, by simply buying a new sealed bearing. The normal procedure then is to flip out the seal on the inside of the box and refit those steel discs just for spacing purposes. What is the fit of your bearing in the case like? I would be concerned at how easily it fell out! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There are two felt seals used for the gearbox. One tiny one between the inner and the outer cover sitting around the clutch push rod and one is located on the outside of gearbox on the main shaft preventing oil to leak from the gearbox there. This one is gently pressed in place by the cork bush inside the clutch centre.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk,

Do you have a part # for the second felt washer so I can see exactly where it goes please? Thanks

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Hi Jeff, item 72 but part number is listed under 73 for this one, 15-270 photo IMG_0546_zps39b7b885.jpg

This one is item # 61, part number is: 24-4232
 photo IMG_0547_zps7d702f2f.jpg

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Thanks Henri,

Can you tell me where you got that diagram?its different than the one from dragonfly.

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

SPARE PARTS LIST for B.S.A.

Restricted for official use only
Air publication 1657 Vol III
500 S.V
Motor cycle combination
Model WD/M 20
Section 61 BS

This list is applicable to the following machines
200 Machines to Contract No C 10655
309 Machines to Contract No C 14052