Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nice autentic looking website pic.

Very nice picture!
I really like the dirt on the bike and rider. I like this sort of detail.
Well done!!

Cheers,

Leon

Ps. but what cable is going over the exhaust pipe?

Re: Nice autentic looking website pic.

Yes, nice picture...I think the bike has a fractured exhaust pipe mounting bracket...What looks like a cable is in fact a piece of twisted wire holding the exhaust in place...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

haha, even a period roadside fix/repair, thats great
Cheers,

Leon

Thanks for the reactions. I lost my exhaust pipe during the Friday motorcycle ride out at the War and Peace show.The wire is a part of an old fence The photo has been taken in Hythe. It looks like there is nothing changed there in 70 years.

Cheers

email (option): bsawm20@hotmail.com

I thought the forum picture was original wartime for a minute! :-)

In both forum and website photo you see Nick and his BSA. Nick inherited the BSA virus from his father Frans. Frans is a real BSA M20 addict (nut) and so it seems his son also.

Frans is master in road side repairs, he can get anything going again.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nick
Thanks for the reactions. I lost my exhaust pipe during the Friday motorcycle ride out at the War and Peace show.The wire is a part of an old fence The photo has been taken in Hythe. It looks like there is nothing changed there in 70 years.

Cheers

Looking good Nick, but I'm not sure that your beret matches your BD in the forum picture, are you portraying Royal Corps of Signals or Coldstream Guards?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

I'm not that well up on uniform insignia. But Nick seems to have Guards Armour shoulder patches. Would they not have had a signals unit?
I do not like his father! He threatened to take our bikes away from us at Longues Sur Mer if we didn't stand next to them on his order

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Sounds like a usefull chap in an energency though.

The uniform looks good, Guards Armoured formation badges Royal Corps of Signals shoulder titles and arm of service stripes and white/blue signals armbands, all good but that should be worn with a Royal Corps of Signals cap badge on a khaki beret of forage cap.

The black tank beret with the Coldstream Guards badge also looks good but that should be worn with Coldstream Guards shoulder titles ect on the BD.

My point is you can't be both.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Nice authentic looking website pic.

I'm sure that Rob is completely correct about the blue / white Royal Signals Despatch Rider armbands and they should not have been worn by anyone other than R.Sigs personnel.

Some units attached to armoured brigades and divisions seem to have been able to adopt the black beret but I don't think Signals were amongst them. A Royal Corps of Signals cap badge would be correct and most likely on one of those super-stylish G.S. Caps.

Some 'Phantom' Signals personnel retained the caps/berets from the units they came from...It was a 'quirk' of that rather unusual unit that was made up of volunteers...At the same time they were part of the RCS (theoretically)....
So, it's possible to be in the signals, have a mismatched beret and be 'correct' but you need to be a 'Phantom' and spend much of your time hiding in the bushes near or beyond the 'frontline'... ..(and they did use M20s).Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rob Your right. I have forgot to change the badge. my RCOS badge was in the tent at the campsite. About the beret you can do both a kahki or black(for guards). When they can get ther hands on a black one they had one.

if portraying later war ,42 on I think shouldn't the shoulder titles read "royal signals" instead of Royal corps of signals"?

email (option): ford369@ntlworld.com

Nigel I'm sure Royal Corpse of Signals went right to the end of the war. Royal Signals is post war. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Indeed they have chanced the title in 'Royal Signals" but the old "Royal Corps of Signals" where also used during the rest of the war.

Change over from Royal Corps of Signals into Royal Signals was somewhere around September 1944. Must look for the appropiate A.C.I.
Obviously not everybody changed their titles immediately, but I would guess that no Serjeant would allow any sloppiness in the ranks when it came to inspection for a parade etc.

Nieuwe pagina 1