Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spedo - what have I got ?

And is it correct ?
The milage clocks on but the spedo does not work.
ThinkI am missing something from the end of the reset post.
Can I get this repaired ??
I cant even get the bezel off, even though I have lubed it up for months on end !
Whats my best option ?

Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: Spedo - what have I got ?

I would say it was a post war speedo as the "Smiths" logo isn't the same as the WD style, and it's got a trip counter that the WD speedo didn't have.
I've just had mine reconditioned with "Speedo repairs" Aldershot, but unfortunately it broke after 350 miles and I need to get it fixed again. So I'd be interested to know someone else too.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

As 'H' says, this is a post-war dial without the old 'MA' logo. With very limited exceptions during the early war period, WD motorcycle speedos were 'NI/NT' - Non-illuminated / non-trip.

However, the basic movements are interchangeable. I'd be inclined to contact Phil / David Woods and ask about exchanging yours for a correct reconditioned example.

http://www.chronometricspeedos.co.uk/index.html

Of course, if you prefer a trip and instrument light, it's up to you !

Yeah, just been looking it up and is from between 1946 and 1956 (with that particular logo). Would not be surprised if its an in service replacement ?

I have just put an enquiry into;

http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/

for repair replacement etc... will see what they come back with.
Rich

Careful now, there was a batch of 1940 Matchless G3's that were specified with trip counters. I'm not sure why, perhaps for some military reason, perhaps just to use up old stock at Smiths?

Hi Richard,here's the brass bezel kit for the WD speedo ebay 271254381749
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Re: Speedo - what have I got ?

Lincoln Bill
Careful now, there was a batch of 1940 Matchless G3's that were specified with trip counters. I'm not sure why, perhaps for some military reason, perhaps just to use up old stock at Smiths?

Those were the Jaeger type, so not relevant here.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

A simple tool to remove bezels on chronos.

On WD issue ones do not overlook the little alloy lock tab on the rim.

photo speedotool.jpg

A lot of post-war serving ex-wartime machines were often fitted with updated parts during rebuilds or repairs....many served well over 20 years past WW2....apart from speedo's there was also much use of the post war domed-glass MU42 headlight assembly and bigger-output dynamo's........just because something's fitted doesn't mean it's incorrect, although not for the original factory specification of course.....

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Sorry for being irrelevant Lex.

ken
A simple tool to remove bezels on chronos.

On WD issue ones do not overlook the little alloy lock tab on the rim.

photo speedotool.jpg

Brilliant - that's my kind of engineering!
Scorp.

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

There might be nothing wrong with it.Are you turning it the right way?When turning it the direction of cable is the same way as the dial.In other words when testing with a drill it should be in the reverse direction. Confused yet!!

Lincoln Bill
Sorry for being irrelevant Lex.

Sorry Bill, no offence!

Cheers,

Lex

ps, anyone wanting more info on Smiths speedo's have a search here, and you'll find I did some research on the subject, earlier this year I think.

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

Non taken Lex old chap

Yes, confused... so when looking at the face of the dial, the bezel turns clockwise or anti-clockwise (I assumed anti-c).

Oh and I have been quoted £100 for restoring this, plus postage.

Richard, Douglas is right. When viewed from the underside the cable turns in an anti clock direction. If I test a speedo. I put a short piece of inner cable in my drill and spin the drill in reverse (undo) mode.
Rik is also right. If you send it to David Woods (now gradually being taken over by his son Phil). He can repair it and put the correct face and bezel for WD.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oh, I see now that you are talking about the spedo guage itself! It has been on the bike for a few years running and the cable turns fine, just the spedo just not giving any indication of speed. I thought you were refering to the direction screw of the bezel that I am unable to remove. I assume that is clockise ? Hope I have not been tightening it all these years !
If I can get the bezel off and dismantle it I may be able to see what the problem is.
Rich

£100 for repairing a chrono is reasonable.

it costs me over a 100 to get a pocket watch serviced.

you'll need watchmaker skills to disamantle and repair.
sources of spares are rare.

Whats this one worth as it stands?, as I have also been offered an exchange for a fully conditioned s.433M (correct WD type) for £150.
Rich

you'd probably get around 100 for it on ebay they go for daft prices, even more if you can match the numbers to a bike

Richard £150 is a reasonable price for a refurbed WD speedo.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Just this very day I took my WDM20 Speedo for repair to a lad in SE20, his done ALL my BSA Speedos, and a good few of me mates, Peter Bond is his name and a fine lad he is too, advertises in the Old Bike Mart. Tell him I sent you, it MIGHT help..?

0208 289 9031 Think he's got a web site too..?

http://www.guagerepairs.com/

My old home town SE20..... wild horses couldn't drag me back there

Blasted Penge, more V1 and V2 hits than anywhere else in London. Obviously a Luftwaffen agent had seen it before hostilities....

http://www.guagerepairs.com/

My old home town SE20..... wild horses couldn't drag me back there

Blasted Penge, more V1 and V2 hits than anywhere else in London. Obviously a Luftwaffen agent had seen it before hostilities....

Anyone have a supplier who has the pre-war speedo faces for sale? I need one for a V twin AJS. I repair speedo's as a hobby but with little spares left.I only see postwar ones on ebay.

Nieuwe pagina 1