Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For the U.S. boys — license plate mounting options

I've been wondering how those of you with vintage bikes in the U.S. mount your license plates? I have a number plate mount on my M20, but it would just look awful to try to fit the Michigan license plate on it.

Is there another, more appealing option for vintage bikes that I'm not thinking about?

email (option): berryman.brian@gmail.com

Re: For the U.S. boys — license plate mounting options

What size is the plate you are attempting to fit?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

7''x4''

email (option): berryman.brian@gmail.com

At least it is smaller than a normal auto plate. ... suggest you will just have to fit it normally. Any possibility you could "trim" a quarter inch or so off each side without falling afoul of the law?

And is size of the plate the issue you are having? What is your main concern with the plate?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

I didn't want to drill holes, so I just suspend it with zip ties to the pannier frame. I do this so that I can easily just cut it off when I need to. Hasn't damaged the paint, and the plate hasn't gone anywhere (I attach a zip tie to each hole, that way if one were to break, the other three can hold on til we get home)... if there's a better suggestion, I'll take it. The light doesn't shine on it, but I don't ride mine at night.

nt

email (option): nicktog@gmail.com

There are options for license plate mounting as well as for running two tail lights- one WD, one standard (so machine can operate legally on the road). Perhaps an informal contest for best set up would get out some good pictures.
Wade

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

HI BRIAN
what part of Michigan are you from?i'm in Belleville and work in Detroit.picked up an M20 three years ago...starting my build this winter,as far is the plate is concerned very wide velcro...{home depot}works well for me.

email (option): frankschenk09@gmail.com

HI BRIAN
what part of Michigan are you from?i'm in Belleville and work in Detroit.picked up an M20 three years ago...starting my build this winter,as far is the plate is concerned very wide velcro...{home depot}works well for me.

email (option): frankschenk09@gmail.com

I made a bar that goes from the 2 wing nut on the pannier slotted to fit over them as they don't completely unscrew I made a plate from MDF to carry a road legal stop/tail light and the number plate if I am getting my sums right your plate is to wide to fit in between the panniers so just raise it to clear and its easy to remove and hide in your pannier when at a show without disconnecting the wiring to the light

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Here in the UK we also have to comply to number plate and lighting laws. Although we are allowed to display old style plates on classic vehicles Pre 72 I think. I go with plates from the early and pre war period. You can also use a cheap reproduction period Lucas MT 110 tail lamp which comes with twin filament bulb for a brake light. These would easily take a US plate I'm sure. Jan from this site makes a few variations. Here is one on my M20 from about 1940 period and a 1939 on my C10.
Norton also had a distinctive plate pre and early war. I think Jan makes those also. Ron

photo M20123_zpsa7d64488.jpg
 photo C10001_zpsc0c3cfc6.jpg

photo 16H018_zps16bbd662.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hey guys,
I`m from Michigan too. I am in Monroe. I`ve been riding my M20 for 10 years now with no plate. Its a small town & the police never bother me. Because its an old bike they dont seem to care. In fact they wave to me!

Rick,

I'm in Grand Rapids.

Time for a Michigan Rally?

Do you know Bob Whitacker over in Canton?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Rob,
No, but I know Doug Price, he is close to Canton. He owns 2 M20`s & is a great guy. I bought some uniform stuff, some tools,& a black out mask from him.
Rob do you have a catalog? I know you used to have a web site. I need some nuts & bolts.

Hi Rick,

PM me. I make the heavy boosting tools for these.
Not much in the way of fasteners any longer though.

I just brought 4 and a half M20s up from Florida.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1