Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas headlamp switch dismantle

Can someone explain to a newcomer how to remove the switch from the little panel on the headlight of a RE Wd/c so that I can respray the panel, I am not sure if it unscrews or what and frightened that I may break the bakelite if I do the wrong thing, many thanks Ian

email (option): ian_chatfield@hotmail.com

Re: Lucas headlamp switch dismantle

Hi Ian C,

I took it out to spay my headlamp too.
It was about 5 or 6 years ago,
But If I remember correctly,
After you remove the switch panel with the 3 screws,
When looking from the internal side (The contact side of the SW)
You should be able to see a wire spring "Hugging" the switch base
In a grove in the SW. you can easily take it out with a small screwdriver.

Good luck,
Noam.

By the way,
Take a look at this eBay link.
You can see the spring in 2 of the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-XWD-Lucas-four-position-with-T-convoy-switch-Triumph-BSA-Norton-/380693649006?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item58a31c166e

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Yes just remove the spring wire and push the switch out from inside. Sometimes they are tight in the panel so do it with care. A squirt of WD40 will help.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Good advice.....these switches are often a very tight fit in the panel, not assisted by age, hardened paint, etc..........

The bakelite can be rather brittle with age, and on occasions I've had to remove these with gentle application of a rubber mallet and a bit of patience.......careful of using a screwdriver to prise out.......this can chip/fracture the edge of the switch.......

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Many thanks to you all as with your advice I have seprated the switch from the panel without damage which is what I was frightened of. Ian.C

email (option): ian_chatfield@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1